Chapter Two: Night Out

*May's POV*

“Greg, I’m home… Ow!.” I yelped when my elbow was crushed between the doorways and my black side bag. The black Gucci work bag was full of photos and list adjustments to fill out.

Coming in to the room was my boyfriend, Greg. Who was covered in paint, once again which was no surprise by now. I only hope he didn’t get the apartment covered in paint again that was a bitch to clean up.

“Hi honey.” His tone was aggravated, annoyed. He should be angry, I was three hours late. It was now 9:00 pm when I finally had stepped in our apartment.

Sighing, “Hi baby.” I plopped onto one of our couches. It folded under my weight, but I was too drained to really move or care.

“How was work?” he asked, yanking his paint brushes off the table in front of us, savagely. The paper under the brushes creased and ripped under his angry strength.

“The damned usual.” I muttered, stretching my aching feet. My soles were burning, and I felt a few tight cramps that felt like stabs.

He made a gruff sound as he cleaned his paintbrushes, the paint dripped into the sink in twisting ribbons or orange, blue and red.

“So, um I was thinking we could go out tonight.” I suggested nervously. His head snapped up angrily to me and his eyes frosted over. “Are you sure you don’t need to go back to the office?” he said stiffly.

I held in a sigh, “No, I’m all yours tonight.” Greg glared at me, disbelieving. “Too late, I already made plans with someone else.”

“Someone else?” I asked eyes wide. Who was this someone else? “Yeah, a few old friends from my art school.” He nodded and then left the room without looking at me.

I sat on the couch with my head in my hands, heart crashing.

Greg has never been this angry with me before. I could still picture his angry brown eyes and messy black hair.

Sighing, I called up my best friend Tawny and agreed to meet her at a bar. Ten minutes later, I was dressed in a purple dress that came to the knees and lace tights underneath.

“Greg, I’m going out.” I called to him. I heard a faint, “Don’t come back.” Swallowing the sad lump that had worked its way to my throat, I walked out of our apartment with tears in my eyes.

“Oh no.” Tawny said, bringing me into a hug. I held in a sob and hugged her back.

“He’s leaving me, I saw moving boxes in our room.” I downed the alcohol and looked back at Tawny. She was a black haired fox, with brown eyes and the body of a model.

“Cheer up, babe. I’m sure it’ll work out in the end.” Tawny encouraged. I shook my head and slumped into one of those red topped stools.

“I don’t blame him, Tawn. I haven’t been paying attention to him at all, or spent any time with him. I’ve been neglecting him.” I said honestly, the way I took care of him was like a neglected pet.

“He’s not a dog, May. He’ll understand why you’ve been away.” Tawny said, tugging down her black halter dress.

“No, he just doesn’t get how important this job is to me. If I’m fired or quit, there goes my photography career. I mean, who would want to hire anyone who couldn’t handle the pressure in Blake’s Photography.”

If I were to quit or get fired, there goes my dreams to take pictures all over the world.

“Sorry you’re in such a rut.” Tawny said sympathetically. She rubbed at my back in comfort and I let out a small laugh. It sounded so false to my ears.

“It’s alright, I’m okay.” I lied.

“May?” crap, the voice I didn’t want to hear.

Daniel Blake was standing behind me, changed in a new three piece suit. On his arm was Giselle the airhead, who was wearing one of the sluttiest red dresses I’d ever seen.

Her boobs spilled out and it barely covered her butt.

“Mr Blake.” I greeted coldly; he was the source of all my problems.

He looked shocked to see me; I guess it was the purple dress I was wearing. It shaped my body and enhanced my curves. I didn’t feel sexy or anything remotely flirty, I felt pissed off.

I wanted to dump the contents of this glass in his face and kick him in the nuts.

“May, what are you doing here?” I heard what he implied. ‘May, what the hell are you wearing?!’

“I’m having a drink with a best friend. Tawny, this is Daniel Blake. Mr Blake, this is Tawny Everett.” I introduced them to each other, ignoring Giselle.

“H-Hi, Mr Bake.” Tawny stuttered; she had never met a famous CEO before. He barely glanced at her and kept staring at me in shock.

“What?” was there something on my face? I subtly wiped at my face and looked around innocently.

“Nothing, you look different is all.” He murmured, then shook his head once and blinked. “Have a nice night.” He said then brusquely walked away with Giselle at his side.

She looked back to give me a look full of hatred that I just stared at her, dumbfounded. What did I do?

“T-That was Daniel Blake?” Tawny choked out. “Yeah, the one and only.” I replied lamely.

“He’s a walking sex god! That’s what you’ve been complaining about?!” she slapped me on the arm and let out a startled laugh.

“God, he was so intimidating. How do you manage to be around him so calmly like that?” she wondered, drinking her cranberry with a splash of vodka drink.

I shrugged lazily, “He’s never really affected me that way. I mean, sure he’s hot and all but he’s a total ass once you get to know him.”

Tawny shook her head, straight black hair flouncing around her in beautiful slow motion.

“God, I’d give anything just to have your job if it meant I could get near him.”

“Not really, Tawn. I’d give anything just to get away from Daniel Blake.” A flash of memory went through my mind, of what I’d walked in on him doing with Giselle the idiot Elliot.

“Honey, we both know you’re lying.” Tawny shook her head at my confession. I shrugged and let the subject drop, I didn’t want to argue with her too.