In Case of Death

A preview of my newly released book, In Case of Death. This book is the third in the series, The Adventures of Gabriel Celtic. Enjoy this short! You can find In Case of Death on all of the major eBook retailers. Thanks! (Copyright 2013-2014 by J.T. Lewis)

March 5, 1999

Cairo, Egypt

The American reached into his pocket and dug out some piasters to pay for his purchase. Handing over the coins in exchange for the sack from the robed woman, he quickly popped one of the sweet dates into his mouth. Crumbling the bag closed once again, he slipped it into his oversized safari vest’s pocket as he continued walking through the bazaar.

He loved this place.

He made sure that he always had one morning open on his monthly trips to Cairo to visit his Khan Al-Khalili. The deals he could make here seemed to satisfy his seldom used negotiating skills like nowhere back home. Every transaction was a new negotiation; here he was just another customer to haggle with.

He was very good at his job. Although a senior manager in his department, Petroleum Engineering no longer held his interest like it did when he was younger. Thirty years with basically the same job at the same company had left him yearning for retirement.

He considered this as he paid for yet another purchase, a hard-fought negotiation for a brightly colored stuffed parrot for his new granddaughter. He hadn’t even laid eyes on her yet, as she had been born while he was on the plane during the trip over.

“It won’t be long now,” he thought to himself.

He had made the final arrangements before leaving on this trip. In six months he would be taking early retirement. He was looking forward to it with excitement. His wife and he would travel the world, enjoying time together as he tried to make up for the years apart that his job had demanded of him.

And now that the grandkids were starting to appear, they would have time for extended visits to their boys and their families. His mouth spread slowly at the thought. He was certain that his wife was looking forward to that part of retirement more than the travel.

A sudden prick in his back brought his mind back to the present.

“What the hell is that?” he thought as he reached behind himself, feeling a short piece of hard plastic sticking out of his vest.

Confused, he pulled his hand back and was shocked to see it covered in blood. As he stared at his blood covered fingers, he noticed his vision closing in, blackness forming around the edges of his sight as it worked its way quickly toward the center.

“Shit!” was all he could mutter before collapsing onto the dusty path next to one of the booths. As he stared out of sightless eyes, he could feel the life draining out of him as it spilled onto the path.

With his last labored breath, he exhaled a single word, the final thought on this earth.

May”

***

A small monkey sniffed the air and jumped from the counter to the back of the now dead body. A pet of the owner of the nearest booth, the monkey chattered away as he reached deftly into the man’s vest pocket and pulled out the bag of dates.

Sitting comfortably on the back of the man, the little animal quickly bit into one of the sweet fruits. Holding up the half eaten piece like a trophy, the monkey let out another loud string of chatter as he jumped up and down with excitement.

The passing shoppers all smiled as they watched the antics of the little animal, stepping carefully around the pool of blood so as to not get any of it on their feet.

Stories of the funny monkey’s frolics would be the highlight of many of the bazaar’s patrons that night.

Available at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HCR1VXY

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/in-case-of-death-jt-lewis/1117759850?ean=9781482520361

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/388030

In Case of Death is the intelectual property of J.T. Lewis.