Chapter 1

To everyone reading this, I just want to tell you that I really appreciate it. I really hope you like this story. If you have any kind of feedback, please tell me. If you like it, please vote in the chapters. I want to tell you that I won´t hold this story hostage for votes. I also want to thank all my friends, especially Becca March. She has been a great help and a great friend. You´re all amazing! I dedicate this story to you, my readers!

“And suddenly, like light in darkness, the real truth broke in upon me…”

-Ernst Toller-

PREFACE

Routine. Easy. Killing had become such a simple thing for me. Of course, I knew it the job I did was for a greater good. I was sent by my uncle to kills rapists, scammers, and basically, all the scum in Venezia. People like this shouldn't exist. People like my father. I thought this was just another day. Certainly, I was wrong.

CHAPTER ONE

By Irina Castillo

Copy Right 2012 - All Rights Reserved

Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia (Venice),

March, 1563

Anna Caterina's POV:

I woke up to the sunrise. The familiar sound of merchants selling in the Piazza San Marco started to build and rang through the streets of Venezia. There was uproar, caused by merchants in the hope to get the people to buy their products. The scents of fruits and flowers filled my room. Getting up from my bed, I walked over to the big window with luxurious carvings. Coming from the Grimani family, luxury was conventional and ordinary. Even though I could have had a room filled with expensive paintings and adorned with decorations made of precious metals, I chose a simple, modest room, yet significant in size.

Uncle Lorenzo and I lived in the Palazzo Ducale, right in front of the Piazzia San Marco. This palazzo is the home of the government in Venezia. Uncle Lorenzo is one of the six members of the Minor Consiglio. Their job is to advise Girolamo Pruili, the actual Doge of the Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia. The Doge is the most powerful man in all Venezia and he dictates all the orders and commands to rule the city. While immersed in my thoughts, I watched as the merchants sold eagerly their products and the boats of the sailors drifted through the river. 

After a few minutes, Bianca entered my room. Bianca has been my nurse since Uncle Lorenzo adopted me. My parents are both dead. My mother, Francesca, died while giving birth to me. Due to the loss, my father went crazy. He was reckless and foolish and he eventually became a rebel and a murderer. He was charged of homicide and treachery against the Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia. He killed three of the leading counselors of the Minor Consiglio and attempted unsuccessfully to kill my uncle, and therefore he became a traitor. My father disgraced our family.

My uncle speaks greatly about her sister. Beneath the fierceness and the power of my uncle, I can see the hurt and the sadness in his eyes as he speaks of her. Even thought my uncle Lorenzo and my mother were polar opposites, they cared very much for each other.

“Good morning, Anna” Bianca called cheerfully as she gracefully entered my room.

Even though Bianca is married to Bartolomeo, a well-known merchant, she could never have kids. She always said to me that she believes I´m the daughter she could never have. She is very loving and has always cared for me since I can remember.

“Good morning” I said as I stared down the window

“Looking for pretty boys?” Bianca joked as she walked to the window. She already knew I had no interest in them. Boys are only a waste of time. I had to focus on my training. I was trained to fight and kill. I had to slay people like my father, who attempt against the well-being of this city. They were criminals and traitors and had to be killed because their actions had gone too far. I trust my uncle and he always says that he never chooses death for this people, but there´s no other choice.