New Friend

"Lillian!" My aunt Amy called.

I rushed into the kitchen where she was.

"Hey, Aunt Amy. What do you need?" I asked.

"Could you read Joey this book for me, please?" She asked while holding out a copy of "The Monster at the End of this Book."

"Yeah, sure." I walked to Joey's room and knocked on the door. "Hey bud." I said as I opened the door.

"Hi Lil." He replied.

"I got a book to read to you!" I exclaimed as I knew how much he loved this book.

"The monster at the end of this book?" He asked just as excitedly.

"Yup!" I read the book to him as he laughed at the many voices I could immitate while reading. Once we were done, Joey settled down for his tutor that was coming that afternoon. As I walked over to my room, my phone dinged and I took it out of my pocket. I opened up the text.

From: Marcy: Hey, we should go to the gym to practice volleyball before Tryouts tomorrow. Btw can't wait to finally see you!!!

Marcy was my best friend. We met in first grade when we were both lost in a store and scared to death. We calmed each other down, shared our opinions on which candy was the best, and since then, we have been practically inseparable.

To: Marcy: Sure. After school?

From: Marcy: - Yup! Can't wait to get back on the court!

I slid my phone back into her pocket and went to her room. I quickly changed into some running shorts and a t-shirt, then slipped on my tennis shoes and headed out the door for a jog.

I had been jogging for ten minutes, when I decided to stop and take a rest on a park bench. I closed my eyes, panting, and savored the nice breeze that grazed my face. Soon, I felt a presence beside me. I opened my eyes, and turned to see a handsome boy about my age, panting also. He had short, dark brown hair, and chocolate brown eyes that sparkled in the sunlight. I looked at my hands so I wouldn't be caught staring but man, did he have the looks.

"Hey." He spoke in a friendly tone.

I glanced over at him. "Hey."

"I'm Percy." He held out his hand.

"Lillian." I took his hand and shook it.

"Are you going to attend the high school here?" Percy asked.

"Yeah, 10th grade." I replied.

"Cool, me too. Well, i gotta go. See you tomorrow, then." He said and took off jogging again. I watched him disappear down the path. Wow, he was friendly. I hoped we could be friends when school started. I smiled at the thought and started jogging back home.

------------

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

I slammed the snooze button on my alarm clock, then settled back into my pillow. Suddenly, I remembered it was the first day of school today and my eyes flew open. I slid out of bed and took a shower, the warm water cascading around my shoulders and waking me up.

After about fifteen minutes, I slid out of the shower and dried off, then went to put on the clothes I had chosen for the day. I pulled on my pink capris and tightened my belt around the waist. Then, I put on my favorite flowery blouse, and added some sandals. I then brushed my blond hair, and let it air dry, my bouncy curls tumbling down my shoulders. I applied a bit of mascara and headed downstairs to the kitchen.

As I was walking town the stairs, my nose was filled with the delightful smell of waffles that my aunt was making.

"Oooo waffles." I smiled as I entered the kitchen.

"Good morning, honey. Did you sleep well?" Aunt Amy asked.

"Yup. This whole 'getting up early' routine is still gonna be hard to get used to, though." I yawned.

My aunt laughed and put a waffle on a plate. "Here you are, honey. There's syrup and some fruit on the table."

I took the plate and went to sit down at the table. "Thanks, ant Amy."

As I scarfed down the waffles, Joey bounced down the stairs and took in the smell of the waffles.

"Yum!" He exclaimed and sat down at the table.

"Excited for the first day of school?" My aunt asked us.

"Uhh..no."

"Yes!"

Joey and spoke at the same time. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have to explain to you which reply was mine.

Amy rolled her eyes and grabbed the car keys. "I'll be in the car."

As we neared the school, the aligned palm trees swayed in the Key West breeze. I opened my window and hung my arm out to feel the nice air. Amy turned into the circle, and I got out of the car and waved goodbye to her. Joey blew a kiss to me from behind the glass which I caught and pressed onto my cheek.

As I walked up to the school, I caught a glimpse of a really light blond head in the corner of my eye. I turned around and saw my best friend, Marcy, confirming my suspicions. I walked over to her and tapped her on the shoulder.

Her eyes widened as she turned around. We had hardly seen each other for three months because her parents had sent her away to her aunt's house in New York for the entire summer.

She pulled me in for a tight hug and I hugged her back, telling her how much I had missed her.

"You got a haircut!" I exclaimed, noticing her whitish blond hair falling just to her shoulders in loose waves.

"Yeah! Do you like it? Wow, your hair is so long now! And boy do you have a tan! I'm jealous!" Marcy babbled, the firey excitement clear in her aqua eyes.

"Why thank you, Marcy. And yes, i simply adore it. How was your summer?" I asked her, and she laughed at my attempt at mocking polite talk.

"Well, dear one, I have much to tell you about. Listen well, child." She said and we both burst out laughing. Gosh, I had missed her so much. She was practically my other half. We did everything together, well, except for this summer with the complications.

"I'm listening."

------------------------------------

How do you like it? Sorry it took so long! Ill try to update sooner next time! Merry Late Christmas! Jesus is born! The Messiah has come! Hallelujah! Thanks for reading! Check out my other books!

God Bless,

Emma