Case 1 - Smile

Yokohama, Japan

                “…next station…Kannai ...Kannai Station!” a raspy voice of the conductor echoed in the small crowded train through the built in speaker. It was the first day of spring, cherry blossoms begin to bloom, little children merrily walking to school with bags full of new textbooks and stationeries, and white collared men with black suitcases rushing to work like there was no tomorrow. In the over-crowded train, hot and damp, filled with strangers whom you might see every day and sometimes very rare, and among them was a young man. He had dark black hair, spiked with an average height of a high school student, pale white skin and hazel brown eyes, dressed in a blue GAP sweater and a black tattered blue Levi’s.

                A loud electronic tune playing began to play abruptly in the silent train. The boy hurriedly took out his Docomo phone from his pocket as head turned and curious glares followed his every move. He struggled to get his arm to his head as people began to push while the train made a sharp right turn.

                “Hello…” he said trying to keep as quiet as possible.

                “Good Morning Kimura! Where are you?” a voice over the phone greeted him.

                “I’m on the train now… Arriving soon.”

                “Ok. We will be waiting in front of Landmark tower yea. Buh bye…”

                Kimura kept his phone back into his pocket whilst holding tightly onto a steel bar above his head. The train slowed down as it arrived and made a stop at Kannai station. There was a beep and the train’s automated door slid open as people began pouring out, running and rushing about. The train stood silent for a few minutes as more people came in. Kimura moved closer towards the doors, trying his best not to push or force the other passengers around. He clenched on the side bar and stood facing the door as it closed, his nose almost touching the cold aluminium doors.

                The train started to move again, slowly increasing its speed, exiting the mouth of Kannai station. It swayed a bit; Kimura felt a strong push behind him and used his right hand to cushion his body. He propped is head upwards and looked outside. The train was now passing Yokohama port. The sight of Minato Mirai was visible. A large Ferris wheel, the Cosmo Clock stood strong in the background. Its digital clock on its centre read 11.30am. Kimura gazed at it. A high school memory played in his mind. His first date was at that very wheel. He remembered the time they took one of its cars high up into the air, overlooking the horizon along the blue clear sea of the east and shared their first kiss.

                “Next station… Sakuragicho… Sakuragicho station!” announced the conductor once again.

                The sight of Sakuragicho station became visible and the train slowed down its pace. Kazuya cleared his throat and grabed his Suica smart card from his pocket and gripped it firmly in his hands. As the train came to a stop, the automated doors open and Kimura hurriedly jumped out of the train and headed towards the exit. He hurriedly walked down the escalator, skipping a few steps, scanned his card and dashed out the exit.

                 Sakuragicho station was a small elevated station. Kimura had a breather as he enjoyed the cool spring breeze coming from the sea. Landmark tower lay to his left. It was a tall grey building, the tallest in Japan, although only measuring about 300 meters high. He paced hurriedly towards it, taking the escalator up to the connecting bridge from the station to the entrance of the tower. He rode on the automated walkway and leaned on the armrest as it pulled him towards the tower. The electronic tune began to play once more.