18.What Happens When The Lights Go Out

18

I quickly fixed my hair and made myself smell nice. That's when I realized I don't have a present!

Crap! I know this is horrid, but I quickly looked through my stuff and came up with a fifty dollar gift certificate to the mall. I never go there to buy anything so I don't really need it. I quickly got o little box and put it in. I didn't think that was enough though. That's when a stroke of genius hit me. I quickly drove to the nearest ice cream store and bought an ice cream cake. A smallish one that is just for Emily. That no one else can eat or take.

I got it and by the time I got to my car it was six fifty. I had ten minutes to get to their house. It's a twenty minute drive.

I cursed and quickly got in the highway. I was listening to the radio when the host came back on and was just rambling. Then they did a weather report.

"It should be clear until about eight tonight then there's a nasty storm brewing up. I would stay indoors if I were you. There a power outage warning so keep flashlights on hand."

No! Not tonight! I hit the wheel accidently pressing my foot a little harder, lurching me a bit forward. I collected myself and continued to their house.

I pulled into the driveway and ran up to the door. I rang the doorbell and the birthday girl herself answered. "Brooke!" She hugged me.

"Hey sweetheart! Happy birthday!"

"Thanks!"

"Here's your gift."

I handed her the gift certificate in an envelope and the cake. "Oh! Ice cream cake! My favorite!"

"Yeah Ashton told me that you got a regular cake just for me and I thought that was unfair for you."

Her smile was so big and she looked like she was about to tear up. "This means a lot Brooke thank you!" She threw her arms around me. "Now come on! You have to meet everybody! They're all dying to meet you! I've been talking about you all night." She grabbed my hand and took me to the living room that now had a lot of people in it.

"Hey everyone! Brooke is here!" They all turned and stared. I just waved shyly. I saw Ashton over in the corner smiling. He walked towards me. He took my hand from Emily's and kissed my cheek. The room was full of 'aw's at that. I could feel my cheeks burning.

"Well quit embarrassing the poor girl and get her some food." Theresa exclaimed. Everyone laughed and I telepathically thanked her.

Ashton took me into the kitchen which had a buffet of foods on the table. "Take your pick. My mom slightly over did it this time instead of going completely mad and totally over doing it like last year." He chuckled.

I stared at all the delicious foods and grabbed a plate. What to choose. Maybe mash potatoes? Fried chicken? A little salad? Asparagus? Steamed vegetables? Or maybe steak with coleslaw and a baked potato? I couldn't imagine Theresa doing more than this. There was already too much!

I settled with a little steak and steamed veggi's. I can go back for more when I need to. "Here come with me." Ashton pulled me up to his room.

"Won't people wonder where you are?" I asked.

"More you than me. My sister has been talking about you nonstop all night. I just want you to myself for a little while."

"That works for me." I said smiling.

"Hey! I fixed up our little friend."

"Who?"

He went to his closet and pulled out Creepy Doll. I nearly spilled all my food on the floor and it took nearly all my will power not to scream. He's officially creepier. I don't even want to describe him just in case of nightmares. THAT CREEPY. Yeah, I think that thing will make a grown man cry so it should work for Nicole.

"Put it away!"

"Fine."

"How are you not creeped out?!"

"Well it's not alive is it?"

"No."

"So it would be a dumb to be afraid of a piece of plastic."

"You are not normal."

"No I'm rational. Unlike some people I know."

I just glared and ate some of my veggie's. "Relax. He won't come get you in your sleep."

I through my fork at him. "Jerk! Now I have to think of that!"

"Well don't!"

"It's not that easy!"

He just laughed. I finished my dinner quickly. "Here I'll throw it away for you. Go enjoy the party." He said smiling.

I walked downstairs and was immediately bombarded by Jackson and Howard. I laughed as they licked my face. Jim came to my rescue and pulled them off. "Even they seen to really like you sweetie." He said chuckling.

I smiled. "Brooke! Come on we're going to open presents!"

I walked over and sat down next to Theresa and Ashton sat next to me a couple seconds later. I then realized I haven't met any of his family and I felt extremely rude. But I waited while Emily opened her gifts.

She finished and was on cloud nine. She had gotten everything she wanted and more. She was off playing with her little cousins and I was left with Ashton and another boy around our age.

"Brooke this is Neil. He's my cousin."

"Hello." I shook his hand. He was pretty cute. About fifteen with blond short hair in a fo hawk.

"This is my aunt Gena and Uncle Richie." I shook their hands. It continued like that until I had met everyone. I can barely remember all their names!

I looked at the time. It was almost nine. "Hey! Shouldn't we have cake now!" One of the younger cousins yelled. I think her name was Samantha.

"Yes! Good idea hun!" Theresa said. "I made it myself!" She brought out a beautifully decorated chocolate cake.

Then just when she was about to cut into it...the lights went out. Why me!

I immediately started panicking. All those times with Ashton obviously didn't work. There were so many people yelling I felt claustrophobic. I couldn't find Ashton in all of it. I could hear him trying to find me though.

All of the sudden images of the doll flashed in my head. The fact that there was a knife so close. Too many people that I didn't know. My head started to spin and a light sweat broke out on my forehead. Then I fell to the ground and passed out. Wow first time I've ever fainted!

**Oh no! She fainted! Lol i have something really sweet planned for the next chapter. Hope you liked it! I wanna hear all ya'll's opinion! Now! That's an order! Do it! now! Go! Any predictions? Lol Those are always entertaining. =)**