Fish Stories

I cut through the neighbor's yard onto our street and my breath hitched as I saw Nick's mustang parked in the drive, fuck my life. Making my way slowly across the street I devised my lie. I went on a walk...yea...I was allowed to walk. I wasn't a prisoner. Quietly opening the door I peeked in toward the kitchen and living room to find them empty, walking backwards into the house I braced my hands against the door as I pushed it shut saying a silent prayer that Nick had not noticed I was gone. Turning on my heels I froze as I locked eyes with my youngest brother sitting on the stairs.

"Boo." Nick said, his tone sarcastic.

"Why are you here?" I questioned earning me a cocked brow from my brother.

"Better question would be why weren't you here." He countered.

I raised an eyebrow. "I went for a walk . . . I am allowed to go for walks, right?"

"Don't get smart, CeCelia. Where did you go?" Standing from the stairs, he followed me into the kitchen. "I specifically told you, you weren't allowed to go anywhere."

Grabbing a water from the fridge, I placed it on the counter before grabbing my testing kit. "I ate lunch and then decided to get some fresh air. What are you doing home so early, school doesn't get out for another hour."

"I wanted to check up on you to see how you handled lunch." He leaned against the counter. "Put yourself in my shoes for a minute, CeCelia. I walk into the house to find it absolutely empty and my mind starts racing wondering where the hell my 16 year old, newly diagnosed little sister could be."

"I'm sorry. Honestly, I didn't think you'd come home or else I would have left a note."

He stepped closer. "You are lucky you . . ."

I watched his face contort before giving me a stern look. "What?"

"Have you been smoking?" he asked his tone suddenly very sharp.

"No!" I defended.

"Why do you reek of smoke, CeCelia?"

I have two choices, blatantly lie or tell the truth and I'm most definitely not going to be telling the truth. I don't care what anyone says, honesty is not always the best policy, the best policy was to deny deny deny....then beg for forgiveness if that didn't happen to pan out.

"I was down by the pier talking to the fishermen...they were smoking."

Nick's face changed. "Uh-huh...and what is it that you talked about with these smoking fishermen?"

"Oh...ya know... the weather and they were telling me about all the different types of fish they catch."

Nick smirked. "And what type of fish do they catch?"

"Big ones...and...sometimes smaller ones."

Nick nodded looking completely unconvinced, "Uh-huh, sure but what specific big and small fish do they catch?"

I paused a moment desperately trying to remember any type of actual fish. "I forgot the names of them."

"Well is there anything else you guys talked about?" Nick asked as I pricked my finger before feeding the bead of blood into the test strip.

Shaking my head, I waited for the meter to countdown. "Not really."

"Hmmmm..." Nick mused before picking up his phone and sending a text. The phone buzzed a second later just as my meter sounded. "92, I'm good."

"No you're not. That was Eric, my buddy that works at the pier restaurant, he has been there all afternoon and he said he never saw you." Nick glared. "Now let's try this again, without the lying. Where were you?"