Chapter Twenty-Four: Some Are Like Water.

EDITED

Title of chapter from: Forever Young by One Direction

-Felicity .x

~*~

Chapter Twenty-Four: Some Are Like Water.

EMILY:

Louis and I had been taking a drive one morning and somehow we ended up at a dingy yard with all sorts of Christmas trees left, right and centre. Louis practically forced me into the yard, despite my protests. 

"You need one for your place, Em." Louis brushed his hands over the thick branches of a short tree. 

I didn't see the need to festivise my apartment as I would be flying down to Dublin  for Christmas next week. 

"You think so?" I stopped beside a decent sized tree with dark green  needles. "What about this one?"

"I'm loving it, how much?" He was already taking out his wallet, much to my surprise and annoyance.

"Would you stop that? I can handle my own bills."

"Well, I figured since I'm gonna be spending Christmas with you, I may as well pitch in for the decoration."

My hand froze on my purse. "Whoa, wait. With me?"

"Yeah, Mum and the girls are spending Christmas with Mum's boyfriend in Corfu and then they're doing Boxing Day with me in London. They asked me to join them in Corfu, but I hate spending Christmas in a tropical climate. But it's all good," Louis shrugged, "It's all right if I spend it with you and Marlene and Delilah right?"

"Absolutely," I agreed immediately, "I'm flying to Dublin next week to spend Christmas with them, though. You're welcome to join."

He blinked for a few seconds before replying. "Yeah, and the next morning I'll catch a plane back to London to see my family."

"Perfect, I'll give Mum a text, ask her to buy a bigger turkey."

We ended up buying the tree I had been admiring and carted it back to my place with some difficulty. We roped it to the roof all right, getting it down was the issue.

One smashed lamp later, Louis had the tree standing reasonably stable in a corner. He then plugged in an extension cord for the fairy lights. Since it was an apartment I lived in; I didn't have the space to be storing boxes upon boxes of lights or ornaments but luckily my next door neighbour Vivienne had plenty of spares that we could work with.

"So, if I remember correctly, you have a family tradition where the boy lifts the girl to put the angel at the top of the tree?"

"You remember that?" I smiled, touching his shoulder.

"Yeah, how could I forget?" He began untangling a ball of red bead lights. "The last Christmas our two families spent together."

"Louis Tomlinson, get those hands out of the cookie dough!" Mum shrieked, swatting at his arm. "I cooked those for your sisters!"

"Calm it, Marlene," Louis chuckled, licking dough off his fingers. "Fizzy doesn't even like snickerdoodle."

"Oh, you —" Mum went to whack him with her dishcloth but he danced out of the way. "Why didn't you say? Now I have to make a whole new batch."