Chapter 6 ~ Deceiving Looks

Start from the beginning

The front door suddenly swung open, & Lucas Heart was immediately at his brother’s side. It probably would’ve calmed me down a bit, knowing that someone was there to help, but then I realized that Dylan was shaking. His body was violently convulsing on the ground. Dylan was having a seizure!

I was almost caught up with them. Lucas looked tense but remained fairly calm. Maybe this has happened before. A gasp left my mouth when Lucas quickly scooped Dylan up. He was saying something to him, but I couldn’t hear what, I was too far away. He kicked the door open with his foot & ran inside the house, slamming the door behind them.

Not a second later, I was pounding my fists against the door. “Lucas! I’m calling 911, okay? What’s happening?!” I hollered, reaching in my pocket for my cell phone. I checked all of my pockets twice before I remembered. Lake Bluewaters had killed my phone when I fell into it. I couldn’t very well call 911 without a phone!

The door slightly opened, & I nearly fell in. My eyes were wide with fear as I met Lucas’s green eyes. A half smile appeared on his face. “Bliss, now I know I’m fun to be around, but shouldn’t you be in school?” he asked, an eyebrow raised. His body was blocking any entry inside the house, so I tried to push past him. He didn’t budge.

“I don’t have my phone! We need to call 911! Where’s Dylan? Where is he?” I shouted, still trying to get through. What the hell was Lucas doing? Didn’t he hear me?! Dylan obviously needed an ambulance.

“Bliss, I don’t know-”

“Lucas! Let me through! We have to get to Dylan!”

He frowned. “You mean he’s not in school?”

What?” I spat. He looked so serious, like he honestly didn’t know that his brother was in trouble. “He lost a lot of blood & he’s-”

“Shh, you need to calm down, okay?” he interrupted, taking a step forward & closing the door behind him. He put a hand on my shoulder. “Take deep breaths. Dylan is absolutely fine. I know he got into some trouble, but he called me from school. I told him to just go to the nurse & I’d pick him up later.”

What he was saying sounded like a foreign language to me. “No, I saw-”

“I think you should maybe go home & get some rest. Here, I’ll drive you.”

Lucas then proceeded to push me towards his car, so naturally I panicked even more & punched him in the jaw, taking him by surprise. Never in my life had I punched someone, but the pain didn’t register in my mind. Dylan, was all I thought as I ran for my life past the door & into the house.

Lucas ran after me, almost in the house. I couldn’t let him stop me, though. Dylan needed help! With that constant thought, I locked the door from the inside before Lucas could enter.

“Bliss, open this door!” he immediately yelled. There was something strange I could hear in his voice. Fear. “You’re not safe! Bliss! Open the damn door before I break it down!”

Ignoring him, I sprinted into the living room & looked around frantically. “Dylan!” I shouted, running into the next room. It was an empty kitchen.

The sound of glass breaking brought my attention to the staircase. “Dylan?!” I grabbed the railing & took the steps two at a time.

BLAM! There was a loud sound behind me. I turned my head so fast, I’m surprised I didn’t pull a muscle or something. My mouth dropped open at the sight behind me -- the front door was on the ground, no longer attached to the hinges. Lucas was suddenly in the house. For a second, I just stared at him. He seriously kicked the door down!