Chapter One

This chapter, or this entire book I should say, is dedicated to MegMadHatress. We started to roleplay online and when I asked her if I could turn it into a book, she said that it was alright. I wasn't about to let that marvelous material go to waste.

Enjoy!

***

A Dramione Love Story: To Be a Veela

Chapter One

Hogwarts has been rebuilt and Headmistress McGonagall has accepted any 7th years from before the war to return if they wanted for their last year. Draco returned for reasons only known to him and his family.

            He was part Veela, and all this time he had known who his mate was, but was selfish. He only wanted someone like him, but after the war he realized how awful it would be to have someone similar to him. As Half-Veela, his Veela senses were heightened. Emotions and feeling as if his heart could burst with joy whenever he saw her, but he had been able to control it and hide it until this year. Half Veela won't fully come into their 'inheritance' of being most like full Veela until their seventeenth year. It was his last year to get her to fall in love with him or he would die on his 18th birthday.

            His mate had returned and had hated him since the first time he called her a mudblood, but it was a better time to start making her fall in love with him since the war was over. Draco was contemplating how to make it all up to her when he suddenly ran into her in an empty corridor, knocking her to the ground.

Hermione had been having a very irksome year. So far for the first three months of this year, she's spent most of her time in the library. She was determined to make the best grades this year, for a very important reason. McGonagall had asked her to take her place as Transfigurations professor after graduating. She was so busy with being Headmistress that the class was very difficult to teach. So Hermione accepted with joy and was now aspiring to be the best she could this year; but for some reason, she keeps getting distracted.

            Her eyes travel across classrooms to find Draco Malfoy looking at her, sending shivers up her spine, but the good kind. That thought made her cringe. He was acting different and she was insanely curious to find out what his problem was. As she was heading to the library she bumped into someone and fell to the ground, dropping all her books. "Oh, I-I'm sor-" She looked up and groaned. "Malfoy, watch where you're going!"

             "Uh, sorry, I guess." He bent down and grabbed some of her books, trying to hand them to her but they were shaking vigorously. Hermione furrowed her eyebrows as she gathered her books from him after standing.

            "Erm.. Malfoy, you're shaking." She looked at him with a bit of a confused expression, expecting him to reply with a snarky comeback; but he didn't.

            "Oh, I see that I am," he replied instead. Draco put his hands in his robe pockets. "And, you don't have to call me Malfoy anymore, Hermione." Her eyebrows raised in complete shock.

            "Well.." She pursed her lips and spoke again. "I'd rather we stick with surnames, since we're not friends." She gained her composure and stuffed her books into her bag before pulling it to her shoulder. "Now, I have somewhere to go. Watch where you're going next time." She began to turn away and head in the opposite direction. He followed her as she walked off.

            "Well, why can't we be friends? I don't want to be you enemy forever!" he called after her. She stopped and looked at him. Hermione rolled her eyes.

            "I didn't say we were enemies, but you treated me like I was since first year. So what makes you think I would want to be friends with you?" She refused to look at him another moment, but when she finished speaking she felt a bit guilty for being harsh. Part of her knew he deserved it for all he's done to her and her friends.