NEVER FALL IN LOVE - CHAPTER 1 - Scarred for life

NEVER FALL IN LOVE

PROLOGUE:

SELENA'S POV:

SEVEN YEARS AGO

"Get over here you stupid whore!" I heard my dad yell.

"Marcus, please," my mom pleaded while she crawled away.

I stood on the stairs and peeked over the railing. My mom always asked me to stay in my room during the fights, but I didn't want to leave her alone with my dad. Plus, she needed me to take care of her afterwards.

I saw my dad kick her in the stomach, then he picked her up by the hair and threw her onto the couch. She struggled, so he punched her in the face. He started to push up her skirt and my mom screamed, "Get off me!"

When she drinks, she fights back. Whenever she fights back, it's always worse. He hit her a few more times, then he started to push up her skirt. I've always hated this part. I turned my head away and covered my ears while it was happening.

I uncovered my ears and opened my eyes, when I heard my dad's footsteps coming towards the stairs. I tried to avoid his gaze. "Hey princess. How long have you been standing here?"

"I just came downstairs right now," I mumbled as I stared down at the steps.

"You know daddy loves you, right princess?"

"Yes," I said as he tipped my chin up to look at him. I wondered if he could see the hatred in my eyes.

"Daddy has to go out for awhile. Mommy had another accident, so why don't you go upstairs and get in bed?"

"Okay," I said as I watched him go out the front door.

As soon as it slammed shut, I rushed over to my mom's side, where she was crying. I stopped crying a long time ago. It never helped. "Mommy are you okay?"

"Yeah baby. Don't worry mommy's fine," my mother tried to reassure me, as she laid a hand against my cheek.

"Do you need another drink, mommy?" I was desperate to help her feel better.

"That would be nice sweetheart," she said and removed her hand from my face.

I went to the kitchen and mixed my mom her favorite drink, a Tom Collins. I also wrapped some ice in a paper towel for the swelling on her face. When I returned to my mom, I handed her the drink and placed the ice against her left eye.

"It's late, you should get up to bed," my mother sat up and tipped the glass, drinking until it was completely gone. I grabbed the glass and put it on the end table.

As I was leaving the room, my mother called out, "Selena?"

I turned around, "Yeah, mommy?"

"Never fall in love."

CHAPTER 1:

SEVEN YEARS LATER

PRESENT DAY

SELENA'S POV:

"Jake, do you love me?"

"I love you so much, Selena. I'd die for you," Jake answered, then kissed my neck.

"Good," I answered and got off his lap. I opened the passenger door to his car and stepped out onto the curb. I pulled down my skirt, since it had ridden up a little while I was straddling Jake.

Jake peeked his head down to look out the passenger door, at me, "That's it, Selena? I tell you I love you and you say 'good'?"

"Yeah, I was curious," I answered, "but, I'm sorry to say, Jake, that I have to break up with you now." I slammed the door of his car and started walking up the driveway. I could hear him get out of his car to follow me, so I turned around. "It's over Jake." He looked stunned and I turned back around to go inside the house.