1 | Trouble in Paradise

IRIS WOKE UP on the broken mattress, rubbing the sleep and last night's terrible nightmare from her eyes. Streams of sunlight filtered in from the window to her right, casting light on the dim shadows inside. The place smelled of damp, a scent she was well accustomed to. 

She sat up, kneading her back with her knuckles to send the faithful ache away. The abandoned apartment - visible from the fairly makeshift bed placed at the furthest corner - was silent; the kitchen was messy, just as she had left it the night before. There was a pile of unwashed dishes in the sink and empty food packets strewn lazily along the wooden table tops: a feat which Iris knew she'd have to tackle sooner or later. The small TV was across the room, a layer of dust coating what was once a shiny new appliance. A old couch, layered with blankets to cover the holes and dents, had been placed in front of it. Everything looked like it hadn't been touched in a while. That was the way it was supposed to be. That way, she had a significantly lower chance of getting found. 

The lamps were off again. Iris reminded herself that she'd have to check the circuit box when she came back from school. Her digital watch sat atop a crooked table next to the bed. She picked it up, reading the time. Wednesday, April 6th. Half past seven in the morning. 

She swung her thin legs off the side of the double bed she was very lucky to have, even though its springs were broken and it was not very comfortable. She stretched her arms in the air - arms she couldn't see because they were still invisible. The familiar shiver ran down her spine as her pale skin faded into visibility. Iris stared at where her spindly fingers were supposed to be until they reappeared. She walked to the bathroom, the only room that was enclosed from the rest of the apartment by a wall. 

The cold water attacked her body as she showered, but she didn't curse nor complain. Any running water at all was a luxury. Many places she had stayed at were completely run down; abandoned with no heating, electricity or running water. This apartment was in the middle of a large complex and seemed to be vacated recently. Iris suspected that the previous owner died far away from their home. So she willingly took up the opportunity of a vacant property, most likely unregistered by anybody, and moved in. It had been a few months since she had got to stay anywhere for more than a week or two, so she cherished every second under the roof over her head. 

She left the cold shower quickly, afraid of catching a cold and wrapped herself in a towel. She hopped from foot to foot towards her messenger bag, trying to get some warmth through the movement of her limbs. Pulling out clothes, the nimble girl slipped into them: a pair of fraying jeans and a T-shirt. She tugged on her faded leather jacket, pulling her hood up and stepping into her dirty, tattered sneakers. She checked the time again. She had ten minutes until she ha- 

"MSPD! Open the door!" A rugged male voice followed by a loud banging echoed throughout the apartment. The voice was strained but stern: the man obviously here with a clear definite purpose. "We know someone's in here! Just open the door and we can sort this all out." 

Iris froze. Her heart beat quickened tenfold as the policeman pounded on the front door again. Each forceful thud sent shockwaves throughout the apartment and the walls seemed to shake with the strength and vibrancy of the officer's growls. "If you do not open the door, we will be forced to break it down!" 

Iris had seen some police officers on her adventures around Marston Springs. She was never one to even try to do anything that would cause any police department to cross her path. When her circumstances changed, Iris' awareness of law enforcement heightened. Without thinking twice about it she grabbed onto her bag with all of her things. She never bothered to unpack anything more than food in case she had to up and go in a rush. This was one of those unfortunate times.