Chapter Six

“Remember what I said.” Max coached as we walked down the stairs holding hands. “If I kiss you, you can’t push me away and don’t’ do the laugh.”

            “The laugh?” I squeezed his hand harder. “I don’t’ know what you’re talking about.”

            “When you get super nervous and awkward you giggle like a toddler, it’s cute as hell but he knows you really well—he’ll see right through it. Besdies, kind of hurts a guys feelings when a girl giggles after he has his tongue down her throat.”

            I rolled my eyes, “You’re so romantic, Max.”

            “So we clear on the whole laughing thing?”

            “Yeah.” I grumbled, “Clear as—“

            Max’s mouth covered mine in an instant, I fought the urge to push him away it had to be for a reason, right? Like Colton was around the corner, and

            Holy mother of sin. What was he doing with his tongue?

            Max stepped back, his full lip curved into a smile, “That’ll do pig, that’ll do.”

            “Please tell me you’re movie quoting and not calling me fat.”

            “The only fat you have on your body is that of your inflated head whenever you play competitive sports.”

            “Nice.”

            “Good kiss.” Max squeezed my h and.

            “Wait?” I turned around, then smacked him on the shoulder, “What was that for?”

            “I had to test you before the real thing.”

            “That was a test?”

            “Yup.” He drug me towards the kitchen.

            I dug my heels in the ground, “Well, did I pass.”

            Max turned around, his steel gray eyes looking me up and down, “I may have to do another test run.”

            My mouth dropped open as my best friend turned into the player every single girl on campus wrote home about.

            He strutted into the kitchen, pulling me against his body as he did so, and then kissed me, again.

            Right in front of Colton and Jason.

            With a grunt he pushed me up against the same fridge I’d nearly cried into last night and then released me, “You taste sweet.”  He murmured, his lips meeting mine again.

            “And appetite gone.”  Jason swore, “Mind introducing us to your—“ Jason shook his head, “Friend?”

            Max turned around, his eyes sizing up both my brother and Colton who had fallen completely silent during the exchange.

            Too bad I’d never really gotten into instagram. The picture of the three of them glaring at one another was enough to go viral in seconds.

            I’d never noticed how tall Max was. Same height as Jason, about an inch shorter than Colton.

            “Boyfriend.” Max held out his hand, “And you must be, Jason?”