*7-Walk Away

Newly Edited

I opened my eyes and blinked a couple of times. The white ceiling came into view but it was still blurry. I craned my neck, whimpering in pain, I think I slept on it wrong.The brightness of the room due to the light and the open curtains bothered my eyes.

I tried to shift, and move to lay on my side but a sharp pain shot through my whole body. My legs felt heavy and swollen, my chest felt like a ton of bricks were on top of it. My head pounded the rhythm so deep and loud in my ears. The bed sheets felt scratchy and uncomfortable. And believe it or not, I was starving.

My nose picked up on several scents in the room. But I was too weak and could only identify Wes, Luke, Garret and Derek.

I was surprised the latter two were still here. I figured they would have left after I had been brought to the hospital. It sounded mean but I honestly thought that. I mean why would they stay? I was grateful they had come to my rescue confused; what were they doing near my apartment? But I was still grateful.  But I still didn’t expect them o stay. We were virtually strangers. Or at least I liked to think that because the alternative was too painful, too confusing.

I heard voices, hushed, angry whispers; I strained my ear to hear.

“We did a rape analysis and fortunately she wasn’t raped, but with all the cuts and bruises its going to take a while for her to heal.” Someone who I assumed was the doctor said.

He didn’t sound familiar, not like Dr. Anderson. His voice was deeper, richer, he sounded young.

“Is it due to the blood lose?” Garret asked. He sounded angry and agitated, like he wanted to pound on someone.

“Yes, it is partly due to that, but also she was initially weak, before the attack she seemed to have lost a lot of blood but since there are no wounds my guess is that she donated it, to her father probably. But she also has signs that show she has been shifting lately. I don’t understand how unless she’s close to going into heat, because that’s the only time you can shift more frequently and it would be less painful. She has also been over working herself and not getting enough sleep, she’s under a lot of stress and all of these factors combined are now playing against her when it comes to healing faster”. The doctor finished.

Wow, I thought to myself, he hit the nail right on the head didn’t he.

“Dammit”, Wes and Garret said at the same time. I heard footsteps retreating and figured someone must be walking by.

“Ok, what can we do to help?” Luke asked he sounded desperate, I felt sorry for him.

“Well right now we are giving her a blood transfusion but we are low on her blood type, she has a rare blood type and this being the small town it is it hard to find it. That’s why I have put in a request for O negative and I will be making sure it arrives as soon as possible. For her injuries though, she needs to rest, a lot of bed rest, and we have given her antibiotics for her cuts. The bruises and cuts should start to heal soon even without her shifting but I still recommend lots of bed rest”. The unknown doctor told them. 

“Ok we will make sure she does that” Luke, Wes, and Garret said at the same time.

A long moment of silence followed which I’m guessing they used to glare at each other. Then Wes said in an angry dark voice, “You are not getting anywhere near her”.

Garret growled, “And who are you to decide that?” his voice held a challenge.

“We are her best friends and you’re out of your mind if you think we are going to let you or that brooding freak anywhere near Gracie. You need to leave her alone, you both do”. Luke’s voice was no longer the outgoing charismatic funny guy I used to know, neither was he the desperate sounding guy I just heard, his voice was dark, deep, and it held a note of finality to it.