Chapter 5

After breakfast in the Great Hall all the fifth year Gryffindors headed off to our first class of the day, Transfiguration with Ravenclaw, Professor McGonagall paired us off; me and Kyla, Harry and Ron, Hermione and Luna. Transfiguration was really boring, Professor McGonagall just gave us our seating arrangements and did brief review on the last four years of transfiguration. So with McGonagall wrapping up the review the first class of my first year at Hogwart’s was over, Kyla and I are walking to our next class, “So, Evan, what’s our next class?” Kyla asks as we are heading out of the classroom.

“Ummm, next we have Divination with Slytherin. Where on earth is that class being held?” I ask after looking down at my schedule.

“I’ll show you the way, don’t worry. Just stick close to me and you will not get lost.” She teased me, I faked a pouty look.

“So, Kyla, which one was Professor Trelawney?” I asked trying to recall all the teachers at the teacher table in the Great Hall.

“Ummm, the one with wacky way dirty blonde hair, big eyes magnified by huge glasses, she usually had a head wrap around her ghastly hair.” Kyla laughed hard while telling me about how third year Professor Trelawney insisted Harry was going to die that year.

We arrived at Divination classroom, and similar to Professor McGonagall’s strategy she told us to get into groups of three and then reviewed everyone on the previous years of divination. The groups were paired up as: Me, Kyla, and Seamus, Harry, Ron, and Neville, Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle, Pansy, Millicent and Blaise.

“Hi, I’m Evangeline by the way, you’re Seamus?” I asked the boy who we were paired up with. He was kind of cute, reddish- brown short hair, freckles, and an Irish accent.

“What? Oh yea! I am Seamus, nice to meet you Evangeline!” His deep green eyes suddenly lit up when he noticed I was talking to him, he was nervous so his Irish accent was really thick, and that was adorable. Professor Trelawney was rambling on, no one really paying attention, so we continued to talk.

“Oh, just call me Evan, or Eva. I don’t care; Evangeline is way too long of a name for everyone to say it all the time.” I tried my best being nice to him; this was the only person besides Kyla that would talk to me from Gryffindor and I wasn’t going to screw it up.

He only replied, “Okay” then went back on trying to pay attention to the review.

“Ummm if you don’t mind me asking, but were you there? The night of the sorting I mean?” I asked wondering why he wasn’t ignoring me like all the other Gryffindors.

“Ummm, no I had a little incident casting a spell so I spent the majority of the night in the Hospital Wing. Why do you ask?” He replied almost robotically.

“Ummm, well I just didn’t remember seeing you when I was sorted into Gryffindor, so I was just curious.” I said trying to stay as calm as possible. ‘So, Seamus, this really cute Irish fifth year in Gryffindor, doesn’t know who I am, who I am related to, or how I acted on the train or basically anything else about me! Score!’  

“Wait, you’re in Gryffindor!? Why haven’t I seen you before? Why hasn’t anyone introduced us before?” He was shocked, no that would be a huge understatement.

Not wanting him to know the entire story, I just replied, “I guess I’m so new, not many people are used to new people.” ‘Great, the most blunt answer I could think of but also keeps him from asking more questions.’ After that conversation, Professor Trelawney warned us to stop talking and who could rebel against those terrifying eyes? So Seamus and I stopped talking and only kept glancing towards each other for the remainder of the class until, “Okay class, I want you to start recording your dream journal tonight and have it turned in next week.” Professor Trelawney rushed the assignment as everyone filed out of the class. ‘Great, first day and first assignment!’