Chapter Six

Six

Whywhywhy?

Two weeks later Amber was dealing with her last customers of the day and preparing to leave for the Michaels’ dinner party, still unsure she’d made the right decision to abandon Parker with his keys to free himself. Which he had, of course. She’d checked, just to be certain. Part of her thought she’d been making a statement by walking out, taking the first step in seizing control of her romantic life by seducing the man she’d dreamed of for ages, sharing the truth of how she felt about him and then exiting with her head high. The other part knew the truth.

Cowardcowardcoward.

Because she didn’t have the strength to stick around and really deal with the repercussions of her confession.

Fabulous, Amber.

Staring at the couple deciding on the style of the tuxedo for their wedding, she smiled, a tiny bit envious.

When the groom-to-be leaned over and kissed the top of his fiancée’s head, Amber’s lips twisted. Such a simple gesture, shared and accepted so freely. As if the act was a given.

For some people displays of affection came easily.

Amber’s cell phone rang and, grateful for the distraction, she turned her back on the couple and answered.

‘Amber,’ Reese said. ‘You’ll be there tonight, right?’

‘Of course.’ Without thinking, she went on. ‘Have you heard from Parker?’

My. God.

Would she always sound like that twelve-year-old little girl who loved Parker Robinson?

‘No,’ her friend said with a sigh. ‘But at least he agreed to be in the wedding, so thanks for that.’

Amber murmured a ‘No problem.’ And how did she tell Parker’s sister that the only reason he’d agreed to be in the wedding was because her friend threatened to tell embarrassing stories to his partner? Maybe Parker really was that shallow. Deep in her heart she knew he wasn’t.

But if Parker believed it, then the truth didn’t really matter.

Clutching her phone, Amber forced herself to focus.

‘Your dress is due to arrive next week,’ she said to Reese.

‘I’ll set up a time for the first fitting.’

Reese’s enthusiastic ‘Good’ was heartwarming. She knew Parker had his doubts about his sister’s marriage, but Amber envied Reese and Dylan because their relationship always looked so comfortable and easy. Just as Amber always thought love should be. Of course, Parker’s very DNA made acknowledging the possibility of forever near impossible.

Behind her, the tinkle of the bell over the door signaled another customer. Signing off the phone, she slipped it in her pocket as she turned…and spied Parker just inside the entranceway.

Her head spun, her gut tensed and her heart hurt too much to function. Unfortunately the overly dramatic angst of her teen years didn’t compare to the real, grownup pain of a woman. Falling for him again was turning out to be easy. Doing something about it would be hard.

Now that she’d adjusted to his presence, her eyes roved lovingly over him. He wore jeans and his leather jacket, as usual. The only difference was the button-down shirt that he wore.

No matter, Amber was sure it smelled of leather. She’d spent enough time in his arms, kissing every inch of his skin to know his scent inside and out.