Chapter 2

So that, ladies and gentlemen, was how I found myself in this predicament: a lack of sleep leading to me to fall over into the snow. I could have decided to stay inside, even if it meant staying up all night. Or maybe I could have avoided looking out that window before going to bed altogether. But, no, as fate had it, I took all the right turns to lead me to where I was now. This happened to be on my back, on the ground, in a blizzard, with a terrible headache, and about to scream like a girl.

Her eyes were the first thing I saw. Though her eyes themselves were a normal, human size, her irises were much larger than anyone’s I’d seen before. And, to top that off, they were completely black. You could just barely make out the outline of her two pupils inside of them. You could see the whites of her eyes a bit on either side, but that was about it. They stared at me quizzically as I took in the rest of her appearance.

Her pure white hair hung chin-length. Bangs covered her forehead. However, strangely enough, not a hair was out of place, nor did a wave occur anywhere in her hair. Each strand was perfectly and completely straight, right down to the ends forming a straight line where her hair ended. Her eyebrows shared the same color, and were extremely thin.

She wore some sort of thin white space suit, composed of a turtleneck jacket with several pockets attached to it, a thick belt with more compartments, long pants with black lines down the sides, black boots, and white gloves. The fabric of her outfit looked like a cross between plastic and cotton. A large, black, shiny bracelet adorned her left wrist.

I quickly got up to a standing position, but didn’t move afterwards. We both looked at each other, waiting for the other to say something. I noted that she was definitely shorter than me. Snow landed on her head and shoulders, slowly piling up. She did nothing to shake it off. After a few moments of silence, the girl finally spoke. “Nǐ hǎo,” she said in monotone, “ huì shuō Pǔtōnghuà ma?”

I recognized it as Mandarin, but I had no idea what she was trying to say. I shook my head slowly, shrugging. She probably noticed the confusion in my eyes, so she fell silent again. After a few seconds, she continued, “Hello. Do you speak English?”

“Y-yes, I do,” I stammered. Her stone-cold expression changed slightly as something that looked a little like relief crossed her face for a fleeting moment. She walked up closer, holding out her hand. However, she walked slowly, as if I was an unpredictable animal that might bite off her arm. I took her hand and shook it slowly. She flinched at first, but then relaxed.

She looked down at our hands, then up at me. She took her hand back quickly. “I am glad. My spoken English is better than my skill in other human languages.”

Wait, human languages? There was something not right going on here. I half expected her to break out into laughter and explain that she was just a classmate playing a trick on me, or for me to open my eyes and find myself back in my bedroom in the morning, smelling the scent of pancakes made by my mom wafting from the kitchen. Her intent stare didn’t change. She didn’t leave. I didn’t wake up.

“We are currently on planet Earth. Correct or incorrect?” She questioned slowly, raising a slender eyebrow.

“Correct…” Now she was beginning to scare me. This girl was clearly unstable. I mean, who else would be asking these types of questions and running around outside in someone else’s backyard at two in the morning in a snowstorm? Then again, I looked at her outfit, remembered the thing in my backyard, and thought about the question she just asked. I had read a lot about aliens, and it sounded just like some strange alien landing situation. But that’s impossible, I thought to myself. Even if she was an alien, the odds of her landing in my backyard are slim to nil. This is definitely a joke or a dream. No question.