Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The street was quiet.

It had taken an hour to drive here, and Alyssa had woken Jeremy and Dominic up.

I was driving very slowly and cautiously.

You could never be too careful.

"It looks completely abandoned," Alyssa said, looking out the window.

I looked around. She was right. Cars and trucks were abandoned in the middle of the road, some were broken and totaled. Others were flipped over, and the nearby buildings had broken windows and doors.

"Yeah, but that would mean being attacked by Zombies," Dominic said, scanning the place.

I parked the truck in front of a really old gas station.

"Come on, lets check this place out," I said, getting out of the car.

We took as many weapons and as much ammo as we could carry, and set out.

The place was really deserted. We walked for blocks, yelling out hellos, but there was nothing. Not even a single Zombie.

We all glanced at each other.

"Looks like there's no one here," I said, finally.

"What now?" Jeremy asked, tugging at the end of his backpack.

"Look," Alyssa said, pointing at a tall building behind us. "It's a hotel."

We all looked at each other with knowing smiles.

The hotel looked completely untouched. There were minor broken doors and glass on the floor, but that was it. And as we scanned each floor, it became more and more clean.

I turned to face them.

"Notice how the higher floors look unattacked? The people here must have seen everything going on and decided to run. The Zombies didn't have to go all the way up. And even if they tried, how far would they have gotten before falling apart or finding someone on another floor?"

"So high places are like a safe base?" Dominic asked, finally understanding.

"Exactly," I said, stepping out of the elevator. They followed.

"So, we have this whole town to ourselves?" Dominic smirked.

It was the closest thing to a smile he'd given since we'd left our town. Alyssa and I looked at each other before squealing and jumping up and down. We sprinted down the hall to the last room.

"The suite," we all whispered, looking at each other excitedly.

We all pushed the door together and gasped.

That room was at least the size of half the floor. There were two king-sized beds neatly placed in the middle of the room, but not only that...

There. Was. A. Kitchen.

"Sweet," Jeremy gasped, smirking.

We spent the next few hours just doing absolutely nothing. We just sat, ate, and talked. For once, we forgot about everything. About our family, our friends, and the Zombies. We were just four teens chilling in a hotel suite, without paying for anything.

And it was fun.

It was normal.

At night, after a really long shower, Alyssa and I slept on one of the beds while Jeremy and Dominic slept on the other.

For the first time in weeks, we slept peacefully.

********************************************************************