Task Four

Task Four

Rain was pouring hard today. Master was then again right with her prediction. I stared outside the grand oak doors serving as the mansion’s main entrance. Violet and I stood beside it ready to welcome master’s special guest.

I looked worriedly at the drenched scenery. If master was to be expecting a special guest, then he would be fully soaked and she would be truly disappointed by it.

Violet then tipped her head and smiled knowingly at me. She jerked her head a little towards something in front. I turned to see it and relief washed over me. Though Violet had her eyes closed, she always seem to have a full grasp of everything around her.

“Welcome to Marchioness Stadfelt’s estate, Mr. Arnold McDonald,” Violet greeted so politely with a gentle smile.  I also joined in as she curtsied. “Master’s been expecting you though you’re a little delayed. She’s waiting for you in her study.”

Master’s special guest was a very wispy looking man. He had fiery red hair and freckles all over him. His trench coat and luggage were wet but not too much. Something about him seems so unusual that it tingled me for a while.

The guest smiled crookedly. “Oh, I beg for forgiveness then for my tardiness. I heard Lady Reese’s a prim and proper lady, I didn’t expect that you must also portray the same values.” He chuckled.

Violet nodded patiently and said, “Well, our Master expects the best from her guests for she’s the best.”

“A servant’s loyalty is quite extreme impressive these days,” he exclaimed exuberantly. “Why, both of you don’t look like servants at all! With those complexions, one might perceive you’re born out of aristocracy.” He looked from Violet to me then turned back to Violet with his arms wide open and touched a bit of her hair admiringly. “Especially yours, my dear, such ebony hair is quite envied even by royal-”

“Mr. McDonald, unhand her,” a voice boomed sternly. We immediately turned and saw master standing halfway down the gigantic main stairway.

Mr. McDonald instantly jerked his hand away. “O-Oh! L-Lady Reese, I didn’t know you were the-”

Master stared at him coldly. “That doesn’t give you the right to manhandle her.”

“I wasn’t manhandling he-” he started meekly.

“They’re synonymous, aren’t they?” Master raised her eyebrow. “Now, if you’re done standing there idly and want to proceed with this interview you commissioned, I suggest you’d obey me.”  She sharply turned around and went up a few steps then stopped.

She slowly turned to look at him and said so icily, “And by the way, they are not my servants. They are my dolls.”

Mr. McDonald nodded helplessly and soon we all followed master upstairs. At the corner of my eye, I saw master’s guest smiling enigmatically to himself.  Master led us to her study and sat down on her majestic cushioned chair. Mr. McDonald then sat at the chair facing her. The fire in the hearth was ablaze as it accompanied the eerie silence.

I sat on the farthest chair as Violet went out to fetch the tea as what master directed us.

“Forgive me for my improper actions a while ago, Lady Reese. I didn’t know you were sensitive with your ser-” Mr. McDonald spoke up apologetically.

“Dolls,” Master noted him again frigidly. “Not to mention you were also late for some time. Something urgent must’ve came up, right Mr. McDonald?” She rested her hand on her chin inquiringly.

“Quite, Lady Reese. The press people in this town are less lenient than in America.” Mr. McDonald said painfully, as he clucked to himself.

“Must be frustrating for you then.”