Makeover

I got down to Calvin’s house faster than ever, thanking fate that the Fury doesn’t know where he lives. I knocked on his door, looking over my shoulder as I did so, convinced that at any moment, my enraged family or to-be family would pop out and drag me back.

The door wasn’t being answered so I took it upon myself to go in and peer around.

I closed the door behind me and was immediately thrust into blackness.

I couldn’t see the hand in front of my face, which, if you’ve ever had it happen to you unexpectedly, really freaks you out.

I reached back and cracked open the door for some light, finding a lamp hanging beside the door and lighting it with some matches on a near by table.

With my new light, I shut the door again and started towards Calvin’s bedroom.

Okay, I totally realized that this was inappropriate on so many levels, but I really didn’t care.

His room was messy as always because he was the only one who lived here and therefore saw no reason to keep it clean.

“Calvin?” I whispered in the direction of his bed.

“Na-mumph.” Was the reply.

“It’s me- Ariana-”

It was startling how fast someone who was half asleep a second ago could jump out of bed. His hair stuck up at odd angles and he blinked furiously in the light, his pupils huge.

“Ariana?” He asked, astonished. I nodded. “You made it out! I knew you could do it!” He whooped.

I told him to keep quiet and not wake up the neighbors and he immediately quieted, saying, “In the morning, us and the boys go searching for a ship that could use a few hands, but for now, try to get some sleep so you’re not too tired.”

It was then, now that he was five inches away, that I realized he was shirtless.

“Uhhh…” I cast around the room for a distraction and half laughed, “There’s only one bed…”

He turned a brilliant red and ran a hand through his dark hair, “Oh. Um… Yeah, sorry about that. I could sleep on the-”

I rolled my eyes and said, “Not necessary.” striding over to the bed and slipping underneath the still warm blankets.

He just stared at me like he couldn’t believe I’d said that.

“Well, come on!” I said, patting the spot beside me.

He followed, but first grabbed his shirt and pulled it over his head, obviously trying not to make me uncomfortable. I burrowed into his chest and fell happily into deep sleep.

“Calvin!” Someone barked.

My eyes flew open and then closed just as fast against the morning sunlight.

Wait- it was sunny? Here in London this was a rare occasion and should be treasured, but I was kind of enjoying being where I was.

“Great, one of you is awake. Ariana, wake him up please.” A very familiar voice whined.

“David, stop your whining. Ariana,” A deep voice said very close to me. “Ariana, open your eyes.”

I opened my eyes to see two dark brown eyes staring into my own. James smiled,

“Now you can go and get changed before we leave. We’ll wake lover boy up.”

I nodded, almost saying ‘yes sir’, but catching myself. That might have been embarrassing.

Gently lifting Calvin’s arm off from where it must have snaked around my waist in the night, I grabbed some clothes and retreated to his pitifully tiny kitchen where I dressed.

Just as I finished there was an angry yell followed by a stream of curses.

It would appear as though they had used the water method to wake Calvin up.

I rejoined the group but suddenly, James announced, “You need a haircut.”

I looked at him as though he’d lost one too many brain cells in the sun, but everyone else seemed to agree; my shoulder length brown locks had to go. As soon as I agreed with them, David had whipped out a large pocketknife and offered to do it now.

“David. Why the hell would anyone let you near their head with a pocket knife?” Calvin asked, digging through a pile of clothes for a dry shirt that had relatively few stains on it.

David scowled but before an argument over who was less trustworthy with knives could break out, James called order.

“Alright, enough!” We all fell silent and he looked up in surprise, astonished that it had actually worked. Pft, and he didn’t take me seriously when I say that we all think of him as the captain. While he had us quiet he said,

“Who ever, besides David that is, thinks they can do a good job at cutting Ariana’s hair please come forward.”

Calvin of course stepped up, but what surprised all of us was Peter, tiny Peter, shouldering his way to the front. I felt kind of bad, having not even realized he was there. Thomas and Peter were both silent, but as Thomas was six foot and Peter was just five foot five inches he was sort of easy to miss.

Without hesitation, having thought of how gentle Peter always was, they seated me downstairs in the middle of the room with Peter behind my chair using a razor blade, his always steady hands never slipping once.

Shnick… Shnick… The familiar weight gradually left my head, making me feel light headed.

Finally, Peter stepped away from my chair announced, “She’s done.” Quietly.

My hands immediately flew to my head, running my hands through my much shorter but still kind of shaggy hair.

It was so… strange.

The guys had come to stand in a circle around me, evaluating their work at making me over to look like a boy. James stepped to the front,

“Lets go ship hunting boys.”