How Not To Start A Story

Alarm Clocks: Aaahhh… Yes! The old alarm clock trick! It seemed very original 2 years ago, but guess what? It’s overused and annoying now! Come on, how many times have you heard the beginning of a story start with:

Beep, beep, beep!

Uuuhhhggg… What time is it?

The sound of my alarm clock woke me up from my sleep...

Seriously? And on every writing guide, it says the same thing!

Don't start a story like this!

Introducing Yourself: Seriously! I can’t believe this! Starting a story with:

Hi! My name is Sally. I’m 14 years old and live in Augusta, Maine. I go to “Augusta International High School” and am in the 9th grade.

My gosh! This sounds like a pen-pal letter! It’s ridiculous! I wrote better beginnings than this in the 2nd grade! Really, I did!

Sex Scenes: People like writing and reading stories with sex scenes, and if they like that then it’s fine. But, don’t start a story with it! I really don’t want to read a story called “Live Life. Laugh Lots. Love Forever.” and begin reading it like this:

He laid on top of me while I kissed him. I was topless, as was he. I felt his hands rest on my stomach, while he licked my lips asking for entrance. I open my mouth, and stick my fingers into his shaggy hair.

Seriously! I do not want to read “Live Life. Laugh Lots. Love Forever.” if it starts like this! Some people may like it, but I find it means the author doesn’t know how to start so they just write a Triple S (Stupid Sex Scene).

That Dork: “Fatty!” “Stupid!” “Geek!” “Dork!” I was shouted at as I walked down the hallway. Okay, this may happen, but at least make it a bit more… Informative.

“Fatty!” a girl shouted at me walking by me.

“Stupid!” was the next comment.

“Geek!” and “Dork!” filled the air as I walked down the hallway.

Though I still don’t like this, it’s more descriptive and much better.

Talking Negative About Yourself: Do you know what I mean? Starting a story with:

I’m the type of girl who is always alone. I’m a geek at school, and outsider at home, and no one likes me. I wear huge glasses and never wear the same clothes as the other girls at school do; I stick with an old shirt, baggy pants and converse shoes. But, I’m very pretty and secretly a model/actress!

I can find *1, 2, 3, 4…* 4 things I would fix in this story! Wait… 5! Saying you’re a geek and ugly is stupid, but then admitting your “…very pretty and secretly a model/actress.” is ridiculous! Come on! Stick with something! Be all negative about yourself, or positive. But don’t switch back and forth!
Make up your mind!

Song Lyrics: Do I have to say more? It’s alright to have Taylor Swift’s song “Back to December” be your inspiration for your story, but please, don’t write all the lyrics of the song as your beginning! It’s boring, I end up leaving the story because of it, and if you really want to show the audience the song, put a Youtube video of it on the side.

Authors Notes: I’ve heard many people complain about authors notes at the beginning of a story. I, personally, don’t mind them. But, what I usually do is have like a first chapter where I have a paragraph or two of just explaining the story or whatever. That way, if people want to read it, they can. If they don’t, then they move on. If you want you can start a story with authors notes, just make sure they don’t drag on!