Chapter 17 Hold on

“We need to find shelter.” Amelia said, looking up at the greying sky and frowned. The air around us was growing more humid and I could see the tiredness in everyone’s eyes.

“And food.” Jeremy added with a timely growl of his stomach. A smile tugged at the corner of my lips but I was too tired to give way. I didn’t know how long I could keep this up; the whole fleeing from one place to another in the wild was taking its toll on me.

Closing my eyes I started to search the immediate area looking for any form of shelter. Preferably a cave, but sometimes it means we would have to fight the Legres that already inhabit it. My head was starting to feel a little light and I felt a pair of hands steadying me. Ignoring the protesting from my brain I continued my search until I found something useful.

“There is a big cave in the North about three kilometres, it seems empty for now.” I said, opening my eyes. Steven nodded at me, appreciation fleeting through his eyes and I returned it with a smile despite my tiredness.

“Do you want me to carry you?” Tom asked behind me, closer than I expected and my heart jumped up. I shook my head; I didn’t know how to describe our relationship anymore. Whatever we are now, we have definitely gone past the friends’ stage. I could keep lying to myself that it’s only because we are in a dire situation, but I think everyone knew that wasn’t true.

Struggling the rest of the way there, almost everyone collapsed onto the dry cave floor immediately, just as thunders echoed through the forest threatening horrendous downpour. Steven frowned and looked up at the sky; if it started raining, we were going to have trouble getting dinner.

“We will go and get food.” Jeremy said, standing up with Kailey. The two had grown close since the slaughtering; I knew that they both felt like a burden to the group with powers that were not helpful for the situation. I opened my mouth to protest but the look on their face stopped me; they needed this.

Amelia was lying on the ground next to me and the two of us gave each other a wry smile. No one had talked much in the past few days; our nerves were raw from dodging Legres and having minimum food to eat. I could kill for some hot food now; or a shower; or a comb. Argh.

Dragging myself back up to a sitting position I was quickly patted back down by Tom. “Rest.” He ruffled my hair affectionately, “You have done enough today.”

Emily rolled her eyes; she was the least affected out of us all, with the exception of Steven. Shaking her head she headed out of the cave with Tom, the two of them going to get some firewood for a fire.

Steven had disappeared off somewhere, doing a perimeter check. No matter how many times we told him that he should rest he wouldn’t listen. And so far he hasn’t collapsed yet, but it’s just a matter of time.

Sighing I wished that the rest of the gang was with us; John could create a mud wall to keep us safe or something. Evanna and Owen, who could tell us exactly where to go; Casey and Nate, who could protect and shield us; even Oscar, who would just be here and eat everything would be a valuable addition to our strength.

Moments later Emily and Tom were already back, with armful of firewood in their arms as well as some berries. With Emily’s power we could virtually eat off any vegetation, but that wasn’t going to keep our strength up.

Amelia opened her eyes beside me and sighed. That’s a no to nearby rivers than; she pulled over all the empty water bottle and started refilling them, her face growing paler and paler with each jet of water.

Closing my eyes for a second the next thing I knew there were smell of roast meat in the air. I must have fallen asleep! Opening my eyes in alarm I saw some of my friends chuckling at me; Steven was here now as well and he actually chuckled. Oh. My. God. This can’t get more embarrassing.