Chapter 7

Chapter 7

After 2 hours of non-stop interrogating of Danny, they couldn't get much out of him. Either he really is lost in grief for the loss of his little star or he's a really good actor. Nonetheless, with Sam and some of the other members of her team getting weary from the long, hard, day, they know they can't hold up much longer and it's better to call it a night rather than show signs of weakness to their hostage. With a general vote and acceptance from their Chief, Sam and the team decide to hold Danny on basis of dealing in underage prostitution and then question him tomorrow.

Cranking her sore neck, Sam enters her apartment, flicking on the lights and locking the door, just as her mobile starts ringing. With a groan and wonder at who the heck could be ringing at this time of night, she fishes out the phone and accepts the call without checking the caller ID.

"Hello?"
"We're going on a date. 7 o'clock, this Friday, I'll-"
"Woah! Slow down there Speedy Gonzalez. One, thanks for asking. And two, I may be working," she cries snapping as switches flick in her brain as to who it is calling her and what he wants.
"Fine. I'll move it to Saturday night," he replies simply.
"Adrian..." sighs Sam, the fatigue of the night getting to her, "can we talk about this later?"
"We're talking about it now," he retorts.
"Not anymore," snaps Sam hanging up the phone and switching it off so that he won't bother her for the short remainder of the night. Too tired for anything else, Sam makes sure she's locked the doors well, before stripping off her clothes and climbing into bed-screw the shower, she'll have one in the morning, sleep comes first.

Her wake-up call comes in the form of knocks on the front door. Groaning into her pillow, Sam reluctantly flops off her bed and shrugs on an oversized t-shirt because her delivery boy's a teenager which of course means his hormones are ape-shit crazy and she does not need to be flashing him anything accidently.
She trudges to the front door and unlocks the door, opening it just a crack and leaving the chain still on. In her neighbourhood there's no telling what could happen and although she's sure she could take the neighbourhood thugs, she won't tempt fate. She tilts her upper body out to view her visitor and to her great surprise it's not her delivery boy but her apparent man.

"What are you doing here, so early?" she asks her crankiness from being worn up so early, slipping through.
"Well seeing as you didn't want to talk last night, and you hung up on me. I figured this would the best way to carry on our conversation without me fearing you'll hang up on me again," he coldly says.
"...You won't leave will you?" she flatly states rolling her eyes.
"Not until we discuss a few matters," he replies.
"Fine," she mutters adding to herself that she is so not ready to do this sleep-deprived. But she knows he's a persistent bugger and perhaps it's better to just get it over with.
Adrian nods, his hand slamming on the door though as she goes to close it. His anger spikes, is she really going to be this juvenile?
"What are you doing? Are you really going to-"
"Calm down! Jeez, let me go get changed into something decent and then you can come in," she explains with another eye roll. As his hand on the door slackens, she closes it and trots to her bedroom to add a bra and sweatpants to her ensemble of clothes.

Adrian stands outside with his mind feeling like it's just been turned upside down. It starts connecting dots and adding things up, just as always. Sam was tired last night, she came in late and this morning, she's tired, she's scantily dressed wearing only an oversized t-shirt...a male's perhaps. Maybe it's her victory prize from the night's conquest. Or maybe it's one of the many she has from her previous conquests. A part of him feels indifference, another feels disgust and another...no, he won't go there, he won't label that feeling because no good will come out of it. Adrian manages to trample that emotion down just as the door is swung open and the dull yellow peeling wallpaper of the hallways is revealed.

He carefully strides inside, noting the confines of the place as well as the numerous problems with it. He's wordlessly led into the lounge which although is greatly large relative to the hallway, is not actually that spacious. A tatty brown couch is pushed against one wall, facing the old TV with a VCR player underneath it. Christ, a VCR seriously? He thinks to himself. He hasn't seen those since...wow, he can't even remember the last time he's seen one of them. The carpet isn't in too great of a condition either, with the was-white now a faded cream colour and a lot of it fraying. Even in this room the wallpaper's low quality and although it's an eggshell colour to try make the room seem more spacious, it doesn't do exactly do a brilliant job. A few more bits of furniture and ornaments adorn the room but nothing too spectacular or fancy.

"Have a seat," she offers referring to the couch. Ade gently eases down onto it, grimacing as the springs creak and groan. He's half afraid that one of them would just pop out now and stab him in the ass; however it seems his wondrous mate doesn't share the same concern, as she easily flops next to him, apparently deaf to the protests of the old couch.

"Oh, wait, do you want something to drink?" she asks, remembering basic hostess etiquette, even though she doesn't exactly want him here, it's a matter of principle. Still it has been so long since she's had anyone other than her friends over that she's almost forgotten all these hostess rules her mother tried to drill into her.
"No..thankyou," he declines.

"Alright, so why are you here exactly?" she straight-out asks twisting to face him.
"What were you doing last night? Or should I say whowere you doing last night?" he icily questions. Sam's jaw slackens-ohhhh, he did not just ask her that.
"Just what is that supposed to mean?" she spits with the same coldness.
Adrian gives a small raise of his eyebrows which for some reason annoys the crap out of Sam, "although we have not discussed other...partners, I strongly request that there not be any. I do not need my family or anyone else for that matter, questioning the father of the child."
Sam has to dig her fingers into the couch to stop herself for socking him right across the jaw. What an a-hole. As if she's...she's one of those kinds of women!
"For your information, Mr High and Mighty, I haven't had sex in years, nor do I or have I had 'friends with benefits', 'acquaintances with benefits' or casual flings in all that time. So next time you imply something like that, get your facts right," she venomously snaps.
The anger bubbles in her, so hot and red, that she actually feels her tear ducts kicking into gear. She'll be damned if she lets him see her cry though, so with a quiet whisper that she's making herself a cup of tea, Sam pads into the adjoining kitchen of the open plan lounge.
As the kettle is slammed down and the flick switched, she feels Adrian behind her, leaning against the breakfast bar.