CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: THE LOVE TEST

Kate sighed as she contemplated the option she had now. It was all her fault; she had been feeling so guilty after leaving the Bigfoot house that she had wanted a diversion. But she should have known that they were bound to be discovered.

Hell, she had been playing with fire when she had locked the door knowing that seven years of pent-up desire and hidden feelings would have unleashed in an explosive outcome. Which it had. The passionate sexual interlude she had just had with Aidan was proof enough that they were made for each other.

While she had left for the Bigfoot, she had known that he would eventually find out about her whereabouts. And she had felt bad when Aidan had been worried about her and she had been in a hurry to make it up to him. And now she had fallen in her own trap; she had no other option than to brace herself for the uproar.

Which came with a bang!

“Oh my God!!” Caitlin Thornton exclaimed standing outside the door with her son in her arms. It was obvious that she had understood everything the moment her eyes had laid on her elder sister’s torn blouse and smudged lips. “You two are together!!”

“Husshh!” cried Aidan instantly and Kate could only stare back still under the shock. How would they manage to convince her sister to keep their relationship a secret? “Someone else might hear you,” he whispered fiercely and ushering her inside the study room.

“I really can’t believe this! You two are having a good time here while everyone is worried sick about the cancelled marriage,” Caitlin hissed angrily. “You’ve been making a fool out of us for all this time?”

“Caitlin, relax! Hiding our relationship was our only option since we were quite expecting that kind of reaction,” explained Aidan extending his hand to emphasize her reaction. “Imagine the speculations if we had come out open on the very day that the marriage was cancelled. Everybody would tend to think that we had an affair and that Kate had cheated on her fiancé.”

Caitlin’s facial expression changed as understanding dawned and at the same time Kate finally seemed to get back her voice. “He’s right,” she said in a voice which sounded raw and she had to clear her throat before continuing. “You have known my feelings for a long time now. And well, when I found out recently that Aidan loved me too, I thought I had the right to be happy too,” she said her voice still husky.

“I understand,” her sister answered with a sign. “I’m not blaming you for getting with Aidan; I know what kind of feelings you have had for him since forever but it doesn’t mean you can kiss in the study like some oversexed teenagers!” she exclaimed outraged.

“Kiss?” asked Bruce and three heads jerked in his direction. They had completely forgotten about the little boy who had listened quietly to the adults without a word. “Aunt Kate kiss Uncle Aiiiiidan?” he asked so innocently that they all burst out laughing everything else forgotten.

“He’s such a cute kid,” laughed Aidan dropping a kiss on his forehead then sobered as he met the eyes of Caitlin. “And please Caitlin, I hope we can count on your discretion?”

“Of course you can! But I would advise you to keep your hands away from each other for the time being. Remember, patience is bitter but the fruit is sweet,” she said in a condescending tone which made Kate wince.

However, she had no other choice than to listen to her sister’s advice. For the next two weeks, she stayed clear out of the way of trouble not wanting her secret to be found out. Aidan also seemed to silently agree with her self-imposed condition and did not made any move towards her.

Well, minus the sultry looks he had been sending her whenever no one was looking their way and which were driving her out of her mind. It was as if they had opened the Pandora’s box and now that the sexual chemistry had been unleashed, the tension was getting tighter. But she was hell bent on resisting him till the end. And the end had arrived.