TMI - Chapter 36

Wednesday morning dawned bright and warm but still, Bailey feigned illness. Gran didn’t buy it. She did, however, drive her to school, which was cool because Bailey didn’t have to face Meg or deal with the rest of the kids on the bus.

Her relief didn’t last long. The second they pulled into the school parking lot, a group of boys hooted and whistled as she got out of the car.

“Bailey.” Gran called as she was about to close the passenger door. Bailey turned back. “Hold your head up high, sweetheart. You have nothing to be ashamed about.”

Bailey nodded, wondering how Gran always knew exactly what was going on, and waved as she drove off.

Meg’s little Facebook post hadn’t gotten the same reaction hers had. Instead, it created buzz. Bailey walked down the main corridor and heads came together to whisper behind hands. Fingers pointed. Eyes assessed.

She tried so hard to look at the positive side. No one was throwing their underwear at her, so that was good. And they wouldn’t be toilet-papering the house, which was even better.

“Hey, Bailey.”

Startled that anyone would actually dare address her after Meg’s wall post, Bailey looked up into the face of a senior named Matt Benson. “Hi, Matt,” she answered with her trademark bright grin.

That’s when Donna Gantry pounced.

Suddenly, she stood directly in front of Matt like a human shield — like Highlighted Hair and Lipgloss Will Save You! — and waved a French manicured fingertip in Bailey’s face. “Back off, skank. He’s mine.”

Bailey did not stay long enough for the nervous laughter and the collective “ooOOoo” that was sure to follow the hush spreading through the corridor. She hurried down the hall to her first class, only to collide with someone large and solid.

“Jesus, Bailey.”

She jolted at the sound of Simon’s voice. She hadn’t talked to him since that day at the coffee shop. He had the best voice. She always thought it sounded the way melted chocolate tasted. She knew that was silly; voices couldn’t sound like food, but God, she really missed it. “I’m sorry!”

He frowned down at her, then looked quickly away. He moved past her, then turned back. “Hey, you okay?”

She’d always loved how tall he was. She managed a brave smile. “Sure.”

“Good.” He took another step away, stopped with a frown. “No, you’re not.” He shut his eyes and shook his head. “Look, it’s none of my business, but I saw your post about Meg and her post about you. Just hang in there, okay? You guys are best friends.” He cracked the smallest of smiles and took off at a jog.

She shook her head and whispered, “Not anymore.” She dragged her feet down the hostile hallway, refusing to make eye contact with anyone. She made it all the way to her locker when something made her look up.

She froze in the middle of the east wing, a gasp stuck in her lungs.

Meg walked in her direction. And she was holding Chase’s hand.

For a minute, she forgot to be mad, forgot to be hurt, forgot to be jealous. For a minute, she felt the most amazing happiness that Meg finally — after all this time — had finally opened her eyes to see what was right in front of her. For a moment, she forgot the ugly things she’d said and everything was perfect —everything was the way it was supposed to be.

And then she remembered Meg’s Facebook post and suddenly, nothing was the way it was supposed to be. The entire school thought she was a whore, Ryder kept blaming himself for ruining her friendship with Meg and even Chase — good old solid and reliable and dependable and sweet Chase shot her a glare. Something ugly twisted inside Bailey and then it ate her alive.