Puppy Luv: Chapter 17

Evelyn POV 

            Almost one month and no sign of a vampire set on killing me. That's a good thing right? Wrong. Very very wrong.

            Every single day I would pace back and forth in the Cullen's living room, biting my nails with my eyes darting toward the forest. I was worried. Worried for me, Seth, and the rest of the pack. Not to mention the Cullens, also wrapped up in this. Because of me.

            I would always think over Bella's story. Or rather, one specific part of her story. When she had a little vampire problem of her own. Some vampire named James was after her as a game. Everyone thought that it was the same for this new one. I just hoped everything would be okay just like then.

            At least one good thing came out of it. I earned a new friend. Renesmee was always there with Alice or someone else watching over me during the day. We talked a bit about the casual stuff, but there weren't a lot of casual things to talk about. I told her about my feelings and worries. She told me about Seth's.

            I couldn't believe he was worried about me. He was the one out there risking life and limb to make sure I was safe. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if anything happened. Renesmee told me that he thought the same for me. That I should worry about me instead of him for a change.

            But that was the thing: I did worry about me. I probably worried about me the most. Seth could rip a vampire's head off its shoulders if he got the chance. Any of the Cullens could tear one apart once given the opportunity. But me? I had nothing. I was worried because if something happened to someone else, it'd be because they were trying to protect me. For me it wouldn't be an if something bad happened. It would be a when.

            If I was all alone then he could do anything to me. I would just stand there with useless attempts at fighting back.

            I had tried to explain this to Nessie, but she interrupted with news from Seth. Or at least, what I wanted to hear. He thought I was avoiding him. And come to think of it, I hadn't seen him since that night in the woods at the bonfire. Well, that was gonna change.

            "Hey Nessie," I said that Friday morning, "where's Seth?"

            "I'm not sure," she answered, "probably out in the woods. Why?"

            "I wanna talk to him."

            "That might not be a good idea right now. He needs to keep in touch with Jake and Leah, so he'll have to stay in his wolf form."

            "That's alright; all he has to do is listen. I'm the one that needs to do all the talking."

            She raised an eyebrow and looked at me skeptically, but shrugged and headed out of the house and out toward the forest. I followed behind closely, a little afraid to be out there. We walked a little while until I heard paws thumping against the soil. Soon a giant sandy colored wolf popped out of the bushes.

            "Hi Seth." I whispered.          

            "Seth, Evy said she needs to talk to you." Nessie said. Seth's eyes became worried, and I suppressed a giggle.

            "Not that kind of talk. Just to spend a little time with you. If you're not busy."

            He nodded and stepped forward a bit. Nessie shifted her weight uncomfortably and clamped her hands together. "Alright then, I'll just leave you two alone."

            She backed up and darted off back toward the house, leaving just Seth, me, and the forest. I walked over to a soft patch of grass and sat down. I looked up to see Seth just standing there. I patted a space next to me and he slowly walked over. He sat at first, and then slid down. I decided to put my head against his stomach like as a pillow. His tail thumped silently and softly against the grass. I picked up part of the edge and started twirling it in my fingers.

            "Ya know, I always wanted a tail." I muttered absentmindedly, breaking the silence. Seth's chest rose quickly and he barked out a low laugh. "No, it's true. Although I don't know how comfy it would be to sit down."

            I looked up at him to see he was giving me one of those "is that really what you wanted to tell me?" looks.

            "I guess I just wanted to see you alright? Nessie says you think I've been avoiding you, but I was just afraid to see you that's all. I'm worried: about everything. You, me, the Cullens, your pack…"

            He curled around to put his head on my lap and growled softly. I think he was trying to say he'd protect me. "I know you'll make sure nothing happens to me, but take of yourself in the process okay?"

            He growled again and shut his eyes closed. I couldn't help but smile at how cute he looked. I also couldn't resist running my fingers through the fur on his head. I scratched behind his ears and his tail thumped loudly and he growled again.

            We stayed like that for what seemed like forever. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Because we had a very rude interruption.

            I could feel Seth tense up behind me. The fur on his back bristled and he raised his head forward. He bared his teeth and a menacing growl escaped his lips. I raised my eyes to find nothing, but my ears picked up a familiar silky voice, "Aww, how adorable."