Introduction

Introduction 

David Hazel sat in the silent room, which reeked of latex gloves and heavy sanitizers. By David’s side was his sobbing wife. He wanted to cry, and let the feelings of sadness pour out of him. But he had to be strong, for not only his mournful wife but for his three-year old daughter, Ethel, that laid a couple of feet in front of him.

Soon, something white in the corner of David’s eyes caught his attention. He turned to see a white coated man, in his mid-forties walking in the room. The smile on the man's face made David cheer up, for he hoped that the doctor was here to bring good news.

“Hi, you two must be, Mr. and Mrs. Hazel?” The doctor asked politely. David’s wife, Mary, stopped her cries, and stood up along with her husband.

“Yes, we are.” Mary said in a solemn voice.

“Well, I have some good news, and bad.” The doctor told the parents. The nodded waiting to hear what it was he had to say. “Well, the good news is your daughter will pull through. She didn’t breathe in too much smoke from the fire. But the bad news is she will have scars on her for a long time. The only places that don’t seem to be burned is her face, beside the little patch on her left cheek and the tops of her shoulders. But her scalp is fine, she should be able to grow hair as long as Rapunzel if she wished.”

“Will she be able to have a family of her own one day?” Mary asked the doctor.

“Yes, she is also not burned below her waist, but her feet have burn patches. Mr. and Mrs. Hazel the only parts that mainly have scarring is her back, and hands below the elbow …” Mary whimpered at the fact that her daughter would be left with scars, not that Mary would love her daughter any less, no, just the opposite. But Mary knew kids her daughter’s age would make fun of Ethel. That scared Mary, she gave her husband a worried look. By the expression on her husband’s face she knew that he was thinking the same thing.

Yet, David knew exactly how to protect his daughter … Buy a shotgun and threaten anyone who dared to mess with his baby.