Chapter 11 (Monday-August 24th)

Korrine's POV

I wake up and stare at the ceiling as I think again about everything that has happened. I still can't believe it, and it was three days ago. I try to move, but something heavy is keeping me firmly in place. I look over and my face meets with Jessie's who's still sleeping, breathing lightly. He looks all peaceful and cute, which urges me to turn over and run my fingers over his closed eyes, cheeks, and then lips. I move closer to him, feeling the pattern of his breathing on my chest.

"What you doing, mami?" he mumbles.

I smile. "You look sexy when you're sleeping, Jes," I admit.

He laughs. "What about when I'm awake?"

"Not so much."

"You know what?" he asks, flipping us over so that he's hovering above me. "You're beautiful all the time," he says, placing a kiss on my cheek and getting out of the bed.

My face goes warm. I know that I'm blushing hard. I turn to see him getting some clothes out to go somewhere. "Where are you going?"

"Today is Monday, mami. Where do you think we're going?" he asks, shaking his head.

"Shut up, smart ass. I don't want to go. Can't we just stay here," I groan.

"Nah. Besides, you've been here since Friday night. You haven't left my room once except to go to the bathroom, and your brother and everybody else probably worried."

I can't believe I just slept and felt sorry for myself the whole weekend. I guess I was just hurt. Jessie has been by my side the whole time, talking to me, bringing me food, and making sure I was okay. He didn't even make me feel bad about not listening to him. He just comforted me, and that's what I needed. "You told my momma and everybody that I was fine, right?"

"Yeah, but Michael still mad, and I'm pretty sure your mom is too. But I had convinced her to just let you stay here. I managed to get the water out your phone and got it to turn on last night. Call them back. I'm going to go shower, and you can join me if you'd like," he jokes over his shoulder.

"No, but thanks for the tempting offer," I mock with a small smile. "I love you, Jessie."

"I love you too, Korrine."

When he leaves the room, I reach for my phone. I have seventy-eight missed calls and fifty-two text messages. Most of them are from my mom, Michael, his homies, Jada, and Dejah, and other people that were probably just contacting me. I even have some from Marcus.

Seeing his name reminds me of what happened Friday night and tears instantly start to form in my eyes, but I wipe them quickly. Why am I crying over dumb shit? That boy and what happened is most definitely not worth my tears at all. I'm too strong for this, and if it's not my dad, Michael, Jessie, or Marlon, then I'm not crying over no boy. I call my brother back, knowing that he's probably stressing. It only rings once before he answers. "Ren?"

"Yeah."

"Thank God. I've been calling you non stop for the whole weekend. Why didn't you come to the phone when I talked to Jessie?"

"I was just upset and kind of sick from the cold and rain, but I'm good now."

"Good," he says. "Oh, Ren, I know everything. I know about the date and what he did. I know everything."

"I'm sorry, Michael," I say, not even thinking about it.

"Are you a sorry person?"

"No, but-"

"Are you a sorry person?"

"No."

"Then what the fuck you using the word for? We'll talk about this after school," he says before hanging up.