Dear Uncle Vic

(Note: This is part of a series, read I Kissed A Boy first!)

Chapter One (Vic's POV)

It was happening again.

Here I am, thirty-eight-years-old, still single and still taking care of my grown up nephews and their boyfriends. Not that this bothered me, believe me. Danny and Devin Carter were very sweet boys and they even took it upon themselves to help me out every so often, unlike some nephews I know. I'm just wondering if there was anything else waiting for me.

Maybe I was going through my mid-life crisis.

Fantastic.

"Vic, I need cash." And just like every day, I reached into the pocket of my mauve and gray plaid pajama pants, taking out my wallet as I set my morning coffee down on the kitchen island. Rick was leaning on the counter across from me, still looking as fresh and amazing as ever. Was it fair to say I was envious of this kid?

I'd never tell him, but he looked almost exactly like his father. The same dark hair and same icy blue eyes, same nose and chin and when you caught him smiling, he had the dimple in his right cheek like his father did. When the man used to smile anyway.

"Here," I handed him a twenty and watched him take it without another word, "You and Devin behave tonight. And stay out of trouble." It was a habit to say that. After all, Rick was a reckless teenager and it was like it never left him. He still found himself in a spot of trouble, even at the shop when he carelessly left tools lying around.

"Yea, yea," Rick snorted, pushing off the counter and heading for the hallway before calling over his shoulder, "No wild parties for you either, Vic. Oh, that's right. You don't have any." With that, he was gone and I was left to stare into the dark murky coffee in my hands.

It didn't bother me what he said. Once upon a time it would've, but if there was one thing my parents were right about, it was that I'd grow out of it soon and I did. I couldn't possibly care less what people said to me and it was like a wall of maturity had grown up to protect me from anything harsh.

At least most of the time.

I sighed and took a sip of my coffee, listening to Rick and Devin leave, heading outside and starting up the Porsche. And just like that, I was home alone. Apparently they were going to meet Blake and Danny at a party someone from Blake's new college was having.

I don't mean to make this sound rude, but I never thought Blake would be in college. He was so stand-offish.

The phone rang not more than five minutes later and I picked it up, balancing it on my shoulder as I stirred the eggs around with the rice.

"Hellooo, Vicky!" Oh for the love of God, not in the morning.

"Good morning, Rex." That wasn't his real name, but seeing as the man on the other line was at least five thousand feet taller than me, it was a fitting nickname. His real name was Jonathan Meyers. He was the only friend I had kept from college. A forty-year-old man with a condo in Cali and a cute dollhouse on the other side of town. Oh, did I mention he had a very playful Doberman named CoCo? Yea, he was a strange man, for more reasons than one.

"How's it goin'? Hey, listen," He drawled in his baritone with the faintest touch of a Brooklyn accent, "I'm really bored. The business is shut down for tonight because of that winter snow storm we're supposed to be getting, so, I was thinking... Since we're good friends at all, that I should come over and we can have our little slumber party. Like we did back in college."

"We're forty, Rex. Slumber parties will just make me feel older."

"Oh, what are you moping about? Oh, don't tell me. It's that new guy you like, isn't it? Are you holding out on me? Did he come to see you at all again? He didn't say anything to hurt your feelings, did he? Cuz if he did, I will rip his head off and-"

"Calm down," I scolded, pushing off the counter and rolling my eyes as I went to sit down with my coffee, "He hasn't come by since Thanksgiving, and that was only because his wife made him." I really didn't want to talk about the man now. It just brought an ache to my chest again. The only reason he didn't come back to bitch me out about his sons was because his wife was just barely keeping him in check.

From what I heard from Devin, they were even talking about divorce and when I first heard, my heart had shamefully fluttered with excitement, but it was only smashed back down when I remembered who I was thinking about.

Ace Carter.

The selfish big-headed arrogant bastard of a father to Danny and Devin Carter. He was tall, almost as tall as Rex, with a clean mop of dark chocolate brown hair and piercing blue eyes that he most certainly had given his sons. He was a wall of muscles and, I would never say this aloud, but I just wanted to take a bite out of him.

Without a doubt, I adored him and I was stupid for doing so. He was the stereotypical homophobic Christian. Not that all Christians were like that. I was Christian. It was the fact that he put words in God's mouth, saying he hated gays. That's what irked me and part of me knew, Ace didn't hate them as much as he said. He was just irrationally afraid I was going to jump him, but I'd die before doing that.

He had a wife and children. I respected that. Besides, I kept my attraction to him private. In fact, Rex was the only one who knew about Ace. No one at work knew about it, no one at the bar. It was just that one thing I kept to myself and slaved thoughts over pointlessly.

"Honey, you said he was gonna get a divorce. Totally means he's avaliable!" Rex exclaimed. I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, please. Rex. I've seen the way he interacts with his wife. He's desperate to stop his wife from making the mistake of a divorce. Even I'm against the idea of them getting a divorce."

"That's what you say. You can't possibly be all saintly, Vicky."

"Stop calling me that. Rex, can we go back to why you called me in the first place?"

"I'm coming over. I'm leaving CoCo at my sister's house since they have a new dog and he needs more playmates. I'll be over there in less than half an hour."

"I didn't say you could come over."

"You didn't say I couldn't. See you in a bit, honey! Ciao!" He hung up and I sighed, setting the phone on the table before rising to my feet. He was one of those people who just insisted and insisted and you really had no choice, but to accept what he said. Most of the time anyway. I wasn't going to accept the fact that I was jealous of Cherri. She was a woman anyway, and I was proud to be a man.

I finished my coffee and went upstairs to shave. I had just finished when the doorbell rang. I sighed miserably, preparing my mental state for Rex's arrival. I went down the stairs, trying not to trip over the baggy pantlegs of my pajama pants as I tugged a loose fitting navy shirt on with my shop's logo across the front in red print.

I opened the door and my day couldn't have gotten any worse.

"Hi, Vic." Ace Carter greeted.