Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

More often than not, Peter would always wake up before Kaytee. It wouldn't be the sunlight filtering through her windows or the loud birdsong surrounding her house in the tree that would wake her. It was always the three light taps on her door signaling his wake up call. He was never patient enough to let her sleep in. Besides, what fun is sleeping anyway when there's a whole list of adventures to do in Neverland?

This morning, though, Kaytee was first to wake. The sun was a deeper yellow, slanting at an angle that signaled a later hour in the morning than she was usually able to sleep until. It fell through her windows and across the bed, heating her naked skin where it shone on her stomach and just the beginning curve of her breasts.

Next to her, Peter slept on, his face lax with sleep, every crease gone from his skin. The splatter of freckles across his nose and up his cheekbones was more prominent in the honeyed light.

She gently turned on her side to watch him closer, taking in his peaceful and abundantly warm presence. The pink lips, parted in sleep. The scars on his arms tucked under his pillow. He was lying on his stomach, so she could easily appreciate the smooth, taut muscles of his back, exposed just to the first hint of his buttocks, the blanket trapped in his legs.

Kaytee flushed when she saw rows of pink scratches on his ribs and on either side of his spine. Tentatively, she brushed her fingers down, watching them line up. She should trim her nails next time. Although, she noted, he hadn't exactly complained...

Under her touch, his eyes cracked open and found hers. Emerald green, lined and dotted with gold as pure as fairydust. Bright and youthful, yet holding a million years of adventures and life.

For a while, they simply regarded each other, letting the sunlight crawl further onto their mussed sheets and sticky skin. His hair wild and well-pulled, hers bunched and knotted more in the back. Both of them endearing.

He wordlessly freed a hand from under the pillow and ran his thumb along her bottom lip. Then he trailed down and brushed a particular spot on her neck.

His brow puckered in confusion, and then the corner of his mouth pulled up slyly, "Oops."

"Hmm?" She hummed in reply, watching the gold in his hair grow brighter as the sunlight drew nearer.

He tapped the angry red bite on her neck, "Does it hurt?"

She cupped the spot in her palm, and felt nothing, "Did you give me a hickey, Peter Pan?"

He giggled and buried his face in the pillow, his voice coming out muffled "I don't know what that is!"

She laughed and pushed him over, nudging her way into his arms, nestling in the crook of his own mark-free neck. He smelled like pine and the muskiness of a sleepless night. She brushed her nails along the pink stripes on his side, "You're not the only one who got a bit carried away."

He glanced at the markings, knowing his clothes wouldn't cover them and laughed, "That's gonna be a tough one to explain. I hope the boys don't notice."

Kaytee groaned and buried her face deeper into him, "The boys! They're probably worried sick." She leaned back and rested her head on his pillow, "We should get going before they try to hunt us down at Pixie Hollow."

Peter shook his head and tried not to hyper-focus on her naked chest against his or the gentle slope from her hip to her waist, "Tink knows we're here, she'll babysit." Would Tink also notice his new scratches? His ears felt hot.

Kaytee sighed and closed her eyes again, not to sleep, but to savor the last bits of their solitude before the day really began. When she opened them again, she caught him staring. "Careful, you'll start drooling."