Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

We were still lying there when the morning light started to shine though the green treetops. I watched as Edward and my skin turned to diamonds. We lied there in the grassy meadow when Edward stood up. He pulled me up with him. I pouted, trying to mimic Alice. Edward chuckled at my petty attempt. “We can’t stay here all day.”

“Speak for yourself,” I mumbled under my breath.

“Okay, let me rephrase that. We could stay here all day, but we have to pay some attention to our daughter at  home.” He had a point.

“Yeah, you’re right.” He grabbed our things and we ran back to the big house. “Hello,” I called when we got through the door, though they would have already heard us coming. Kate ran into my arms the moment I walked through the doors. She was so fast I almost didn’t see her coming.

“Bella, you’re here! Finally.”

“Nice to see you, too, Kate. I can see you’re in a bad mood,” I said sarcastically.

“Oh, but I’m not Bella! I’m in a great mood. Never been better. In fact, I’m even happier now that you and Edward are home!”

“What’s with you today?”

“Don’t you notice anything different about me? Edward, no spoiling.” She smiled and stood up straighter, gleaming. It took me a moment to see the ring on her hand.

“He proposed.” She nodded and smiled bigger if that was even possible.

“Yes! Isn’t it great?”

“Of course it is, Kate! I’m so happy for you.”

“Congratulations,” Edward pitched in.

“Thank you. It’s more symbolic than anything, but still. I am so excited!” I could see that. She looked like she was about explode of happiness. She was right about the wedding being nothing more than symbolic, for the most part. Kate and Garrett were mates, wed or not. That wasn’t going to change. She already belongs to him and he belongs to her. Marriage, it seems, makes it more official, though. She can go around wearing her ring and show the world that she belongs to someone. She can be tied to Garrett and let everyone know it.

“So, when’s the big day?”

“Oh, we haven’t talked about it yet. He only proposed last night. We’ll probably get Alice to plan a lot of it. Though, I will be more involved than you were.”

“How’d you know?”

“Oh, I have my sources.”

“Oh. Well, am I the last to know?”

“Yeah, seeing as it’s noon. Edward even knew before you, seeing as he goes around listening to my every thought, which I can say, gets pretty wierd.”

“Believe me, Kate,” Edward said, shaking his head. “I do try not to see some things.”

“Yeah, still. You are definitely the lucky one, Bella.”

“Yeah, most of the time. So, where is your husband-to-be?”

“Oh, he’s around here somewhere. We were talking to Carlisle and Esme when you two got here. I think I’m going to go check on him.” She gave me a quick hug and left the room. Edward put his hand on my shoulder and gave me a quick peck on the cheek. I smiled up at him.

“Aren’t they so cute?”

“Yes, they are.” He spun me around and started to kiss me passionately. I didn’t hear when someone walked into the hallway.