Chapter 24: I Can Play This Game

Time felt like it was going by slower than ever after Tristan left. Daniel had the time all wrong. The hunters figured out that he was keeping track of the time and wanted to throw him off. Why? It was probably part of the sick twisted game they liked to play.

When Tristan opened the door, we caught a glimpse of the sun. It was sometime during the day and not midnight. He had slammed the door shut when he left. Some of the other Alphas stirred awake. Others like Terrence and his wife couldn't be woken by a chainsaw or an earthquake.

"Should we be coming up with some sort of plan right now?" Daniel suggested once he was positive we were alone again.

"I thought we exhausted every plan we came up with two days ago," Christian grumbled from across the basement.

"Two days ago you didn't have me," I spoke up. I knew my voice would surprise them. They didn't know I was here.

"When did she get here?" Regan asked, from my left and a little shocked.

"They brought me in a few hours ago."

"What are you doing here?"

"Saving your butts," I spoke in an obvious tone.

I probably should have been a little nicer to them since they were Alphas. The time away from Dante was taking its toll on me. Tristan's words 'he will be dead by sunset' rang through my head. It didn't help that my nightmare from the other night weighed heavily on my thoughts.

My chest squeezed tightly. Shit. My ribs stabbed at my lungs. I had to inhale sharply as I recalled my thoughts. No, I wouldn't even think about the nightmare. Just focus on right now. You have a job to do, Arianna, otherwise this all was pointless.

Terrence snorted, "Good job saving our butts, Arianna, but it seems you are in the same predicament as us now."

I guess he was awake now. Great.

"Well while you were all snoring away down here, Daniel and I were discussing an actual course of action."

"I am sure whatever plan a twelve year old could have come up with we would have already thought of so why don't you let us save our strength and rest up," Terrence snidely responded.

Okay, I guess I deserved that. I knew better than to talk down to an older Alpha but this guy was seriously getting on my nerves. Would he really rather sit down here with his mate and rot?

Before I could respond and bury my grave even further, Christian butted in.

"Let's just hear her out. Go ahead Arianna."

I opened my mouth and closed it a few times. For once I was thankful it was dark. I knew my face resembled a gold fish for a moment.

"The vote Ari," Daniel prompted when he realized I was in shock.

"Right," I shook my head, "As you know in just a few hours the Alpha leader vote will be taking place."

"Yes, we are all very well aware of that. Thank you for pointing out the obvious."

"Will you just shut up?" Regan shouted.

Even the others were surprised at the terse tone he took with Terrence. I paused again for another moment in shock and had to hold back a laugh.

"Go on Ari."

"As of last night, Dante is the new Alpha of the Shadowlands."

This time I took a pause on purpose to let it sink in. I was unsure how any of them would really take the news. I didn't know how many of them knew about Dante's past or how Alpha Eric treated his son.