Rejected, Replaced & Forgotten - chpt. 1

Chapter one

Livy

            "Darn it, I forgot my hat. I'll be one minute, Jay," I hopped out of my brother's car and slammed the door before running back into the pack house. I sprinted up the stairs and whirled into my room before quickly rummaging through my stuff before finding my hat. It was an old faded red baseball hat that my father gave me when I was a kid, I wore it every day. Partially because I missed him like crazy and partially because it helped me blend into the crowd.

            I heard a car horn blare and swore, nearly jumping out of my skin. I had the awful curse of constantly running late and today was no exception. I turned on my heel and immediately tripped, falling flat on my face.

            I grumbled something unintelligible and rubbed the elbow that I had hit on the ground. I looked down and rolled my eyes, Leah had left her stilettos right in the middle of the room. Due to the large numbers in the pack house I was forced to share a room with my cousin Leah.

            She was a year older than me and we used to get on quite good until she developed breasts and a passion for boys. That's where Leah and I were different. Where she was all makeup and stilettos I was more jeans and a sweatshirt. I was raised by a mom who is a tom boy, my older brother, Jay, and my dad, so it's no surprise I didn't turn out girly.

            The horn blared again and I bolted from my room, forgetting to close the door. I hopped into my brother's truck and grinned at him.

            "Sorry, I got lost in my thoughts."

            Jay rolled his eyes and threw the car into reverse, "When are you not day dreaming? I mean you know how much I hate being late yet every morning it's the same thing. Why don't you set your alarm ten minutes earlier?"

            I shrugged, "We both know I would just hit snooze."

            Jay laughed, "Yeah, you would wouldn't you? Oh well I guess I have no choice but to endure you're painful tardiness, you are my little sis after all." He reached over and shoved my shoulder lightly making me smile.

            My brother and I were as thick as thieves when we were alone but as soon as we were in public we avoided each other like the plague. I avoided him and his group and he avoided me and my one friend Sam.

            "You know it'll be three years for dad next month," Jay said quietly. I nodded and turned my attention to the passing forest, wishing I could be there instead of going to school.

            I sighed, "Yeah, I know. I wonder how mom will take it."

            "No better than she handles every other day, she walks around like a zombie."

            I shrugged, "At least she hasn't tried to kill herself."

            Jay cried, "Liv! That's awful."

            "It's true though Jay, I mean most Weres are suicidal when they lose their mates. Mom's just stronger than the rest I guess."

            Jay nodded, "Well thank God she is, imagine if we lost her too?"

            I gazed out the window, "We'd be orphans."

            We arrived at school about five minutes later, the entire time was spent in silence after our talk about mom. Jay and I shared one thing in common; we hated talking about our feelings. It wasn't often you found Jay or I crying, or moping around. Usually we wore pretty blank expressions.