She had auburn brown, shoulder length hair and large hazel eyes. Looked to be about fourteen or fifteen years old and was dressed in maroon, ivory, and golden yellow grab. She stared down at me and then held out her arms. “Jinx,” The cat jumped off my chest into her open arms.

           “Where am I?” I asked her as I sat up.

          She whispered something to the cat before she answered me. “You’re in the Hollowlyn Woods,” Reading the confusion on my face she continued,“These woods are manmade, each tree was placed to look exactly like the other. The ground itself is also manmade it rotates. They used to send prisoners here to let them go mad before they executed them. I’m Poppy by the way,” She gave me a friendly smile.

            “And this is Jinx.”

           “Alex. So how do we get out of here?”

           “Just follow Jinx,” Poppy smiled again and sat the cat on the ground. I got to my feet.

          “What’s beyond the forest? I don’t even know how I got here. I was going to the store, almost got hit by a car, and I end up here!” I jerked my arms around. Jinx and Poppy exchanged a look. That cat was starting to freak me out.

             “Who are you?” Poppy asked eyes full of excitement and disbelief.

             “Alex. I told you already…”

            “Full name,” she cut me off.

           “Alexander Bastian O’Shanahan,” I stated my full birth given name.

          Jinx’s ears twitched, “Meow.”

          “Come on. It’ll be dark soon,” Poppy said starting off after the cat.

          “How can you tell?”

          Poppy didn’t answer me. We followed the cat, Jinx weaving in and out of the trees. Everything still looked the same to me, but I didn’t question it. Within about half an hour the forest abruptly ended. The three of us were in an open field.

           A small wooden house was in the distance. For the first time I could see the sky. The sun was setting and the clouds stretched out in all directions.

          I looked on and found that many stars were accompanying the moon for the night. I had no idea where I was, but I knew it was nowhere near home.

         “Alex?” I turned to face Poppy who searched my eyes. “That little house over there is mine,” she walked towards the house and I trailed behind her. Jinx was way ahead of us.

         I kept my eyes to the sky looking for answers. But it gave me none. As the sun drifted away I felt abandon by it.

         Poppy’s house had a rough looking outside. Parts of the wood siding was chipped and cut away. It looked like it should have been condemned years ago.

          “Are you hungry?”

          “Umm…yeah.” Poppy ducked into the little house. I sat down against the outside wall.

          “Oh my God, This is a nightmare!” I huffed and shoved my face in my hands.

          “Is it really all that bad?” A man’s voice asked.

           I looked up to find no one there. I could still hear Poppy inside, moving about.

           “Great now I’m hearing voices. I’m lost and crazy,” I said shaking my head ruefully.