Chapter One

Chapter One

Zoey

"Zoey," my mom called into the yard. I was not paying a bit of attention. Why do you ask? I was concentrating. I am constantly fine-tuning my training and wolf skills. Yes, I said wolf. I am a werewolf. I just turned into one a year ago when I shifted for the first time. I was born a werewolf.

I shifted back after she had called again for the second time. This time, ferocity poured from her mouth as she yelled my name. I had been concentrating harder than needed to be. "Yeah, mom," I called as I strolled inside the kitchen. I placed my sweatshirt on the chair before I sat, too hot to keep it on. Now I just sat in a halter-top and shorts.

As I stared at my mom and dad, who looked flustered, I began to feel uncomfortable. An eerie pit began building in my stomach that told me I was about to hear bad news. "Zoey, you're moving with your father back to his pack on the other side of the country. We're getting a divorce," my mother says as she scrapes her chair across the tile floor.

"What?!" I screamed. "There's no way I am moving away from my friends!" I cried.

"Either you move with him or you move to Europe with me, and we all know you would rather be with your father. Plus, I don't want the burden." My mother smiled as I stared at her in disbelief like she was a purple chicken running around with its head cut off right in the middle of the kitchen. Since when did she not want me around? Oh. I get it, I thought to myself. She doesn't want a werewolf around when she can't shift herself.

"FINE!" I scream as I beeline it to my room and slam the door for an added effect. There are boxes all over my room; most of them were just taped on the bottom and left to sit empty. I was livid. I tossed things into the boxes left and right. I didn't dare hesitate and look at what was making it into the boxes, simply tossing them in the right direction.

After my 'fit' ends, I lay down while weeping on my bed when I hear a soft knock on the door. "What?" I snap.

"Sweetie, it's dad," my dad's soft masculine voice calls through the door. I have always been close to my dad, not so much though with my mom. Nevertheless, it has helped that I can shift into a wolf. So can he. We play and run through the trees together all the time. "I know you're not happy honey, but you need to be in a pack and get used to their ways. Someday soon you will be finding your mate, and he will already be in a pack most likely," my dad rambled on. I have heard him talk about this before, but I didn't want to know much about it. I liked it here in the no-pack territory. Not many wolves lived here, but every rogue here was friendly.

"We'll be leaving tomorrow morning, sweetie. If you want to go out and say goodbye to your friends, you should do it tonight."

"Yeah, dad, I think I will do just that." I pouted as I ambled my way out the door.

I found my friends Tyler, Jordan, and Stacy at our location, tucked in the back corner of Stacy's yard. A small bench has sat there for years, so we claimed it. We would sit there, talk, and hang out while we decide what to do next.

"Hey, guys." I smiled. It will probably be my last time ever seeing my friends.

"Zoey," Stacy called as she ran to me pulling me into her long skinny arms. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing," I replied. I wasn't going to let them see me cry. I am strong. I will be strong for my friends...

"Ah... Zo... you're crying. We know something is up." Jordan half-smiles as he walks closer to us.

Dang, stupid tears; I didn't even realize I was still crying.

"I'm moving. I'll miss you all. This is my last night here," I whined.

My friends didn't say much at first. They just wrapped me up in their warm and loving arms and held me. I knew Stacy would be sad. She was one of my rogue friends here, my best friend. She didn't say much, just leaned in my ear and said, "we'll come to see you if you want." I smiled at her suggestion. This would be wonderful except for the fact that I know she didn't want to. She was a rogue too, and she had told me how she had planned to stay that way.

"Let's make the most of our time then," Tyler announced and scooped me up into his arms and ran off toward the house. Jordan picked up Stacy and followed us. They set us down in front of the couch in Stacy's house. Together we watched a movie as we ate popcorn and candy together.

Two movies later, the living room ended up destroyed. Popcorn was all over from Jordan and Tyler fighting with it. Pillows and blankets all over from Stacy and I pillow fighting the guys. It was fun.

After a few tear-filled hours, I slunk back toward my house. I had promised to call when I arrived and give them my address. I am going to miss them.