Chapter 3 - Who are they?

The male nurse (Corey)  > > > >

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't believe it: the people dressed in black are here again, but inside my room talking with the usual nurse. But they were talking in hushed whispers as if they didn't want me to hear anything, if they didn't want me to hear anything why didn't they go outside?! Obviously they weren't very smart.

"...She doesn't even know her name." I heard the nurse say.

It seems they were talking about me in this dark room. It must have been early because there wasn't a hint of light showing through the metal blinds.

I decided to fake sleep and eavesdrop on the rest of the conversation. This could be interesting...

"So she doesn't remember anything?." Asked a deep manly voice - the man dressed in the black.

"Special Agent Smith, she doesn't even know her first name - or what her mother looks like, even when she was right infront of her eyes.." the nurse came again. Special Agent Smith must be the male person in black.

What are they talking about my mother? The only people I've seen are the two nurses, another nurse and cleaner, the doctor and that chunky lady.  

"We need her to remember." Came a female voice which I guessed was the female so called 'special agent'.

The echo of heels hitting against the laminate floor filled the colourless room as I realised that someone was pacing. It was like the sound of... drums. The sound....like toturing footsteps.

I was walking down the footpath. I swear someone was following me. I stopped and looked over my shoulder at a sign, out of the corner I saw him. He wore a black leather jacket, beige business pants and a black trench coat. He has stopped too. I turned my head around the right way slowly and continued walking. I heard his business shoes on the sidewalk behind me. My gut gave off a strong pain. I fastened my pace.  His footsteps got faster. Sweat had broken on my brow. I let it roll down my pained body. I was practically running along the rain sodden sidewalk.

Why wasn't there anyone around? Sure, it was a rainy day, but it was still a Wednesday - busy work day. That's where I was off to; my apprenticeship at hairdressing. It was my TAFE day. My best friend and I - ugh what was here name again - always went together. She was sick that day.

The man was quickening his speed too. I looked back; his face a dark blur. My yellow trench coat got stuck on something I whipped my head around to see, loose black hair swinging out of its bun and into my eyes. My coat had been caught on a little fence. I frantically pulled at it, willing it to come free. The man was getting closer to me. I tugged harder, it still didn't budge. I cried out in fear. No one was around to hear. I was surely doomed. I jerked at the coat once more. Not a single movement. The man was virtually on top of me now - I ripped at the buttons and slipped out of the coat in a rush. It looked quite funny hanging there on the fence post - like an empty scarecrow.

I continued my running away from the tall man. He was about 6"3. I wasn't gain to return my gaze to him. I sprinted off down the path. Hearing his footsteps behind me was the most frightening thing in the world. I started searching my pockets for my mobile phone. Left pocket - zero. Right pocket - zero. Back pockets - zero.

'Oh no.' I had thought to myself. 'My trench coat.' I had left my phone in the top left pocket of my coat.

I ran harder, soft rain hitting my face as I ran. I turned down into a small, dark alley.