Painful Rejection: Chapter 30

The long trip to Court went by in a blur as I just stared out the window and zoned out. I'm not even sure what I was thinking of as the scenery passed my view but when we finally got there, I wasn't anymore thrilled then I was in the car.

"Harmony are you sure-" Mich began to asked for the hundredth time.

"Mich it doesn't matter what I think or want, what matters is what needs to be done so quit asking me!" I said.

He shrugged. "Well alright. Let's go guys."

Everyone filed out of the van and I took a deep breath as I went through all the things I could tell Harvin.

Harvin is the head of the CAO (Court Assassin Organization) and he's not very tolerant of failure which is what I did. That's how they'll see Helm's current existence, my failure to kill him.

I sighed.

"It can't be that bad, can it?" Archer asked.

I groaned. "You have no idea."

"Kensworth!"

I turned to the source of the shout to see Harvin marching angrily over to us.

I took a deep breath. "Yes, sir? Is something wrong?"

He glared at me. "You know damn well what's wrong. Why don't you tell me what the problem is?"

I stood up straight and prepared myself. "We have reason to believe Dr. Robert Helms is still alive."

His hand slapped across my face, hard and strong, and the ghost of his strike burned my cheek.

I heard Brendon and Archer growl but Mich shushed them.

"That's right! I want to know why! Did you not do your job as well as we thought?! Are you in league with the bastard?! Answer me, Kensworth!"

I refused to make eye contact with him because I knew my next sentence would anger him. "With all due respect, sir, you yourself were there when Helms's body was burned."

He raised his hand to strike me again and I winced but the strike was halted by Mich when he stood in front of me.

Harvin growled. "Move now! It's my job to discipline the agents!"

"I mean no disrespect, sir, but you know you were there when the body was burned. You have to no right to punish an innocent agent." he said sternly gripping Harvin's arm.

Harvin growled slightly before easing back. "Very well but do not think the Court Leaders will grant you such mercy." he told me.

"I know they won't." I said before walking passed him.