o0.

o0.

❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ 

Suppress any sound and you shall not be heard.

Stifle your scent and you shall not be smelled.

Stay out of arm's reach and you shall not be touched.

 You're a thief in the night.

Don't let them catch you, Tev.

   I awoke, disinclined and disgruntled, letting out a grunt polluted with distress. As I fully wakened, I peered out the window from whence I'd entered only years ago, being greeted with the six o' clock dew of morning. Halle should be waking soon. I rose from the cold earth, moaning as the harshness of the stone bed where I'd slept was alas taking its noxious toll on my back. As I predicted, the thin timbered crown hovering my head creaked, an intimation of Halle's rising. I followed her steps with my ears.

Ten paces left, a few thumps, and a door is grazed along the wood flooring. She enters the room, waking Audrey, her developing son. Despite his resistance, she managed to stir him from his slumber.

The two part ways, Audrey's gentle ambulating feet skidding sluggishly along the color mahogany and Halle's softer feet kissing the wood as she returned to her bedroom, where I believe her restroom resided.

I awaited the pitter-patter of water and the dulcet song Halle would hum as she lathered away the impurities of night.

I shut my eyes, the anticipation rousing the heavy raps in my chest. I counted down from three, and as the number one rolled from my tongue, a hurricane of fluttering flies seized my stomach. Her voice was nectar to my ears; soft and sweet. One could only dream of the beauty that owned such a voice of honey; her skin of silk and eyes of gold. Her lips would be plump and creased precisely; she'd be a paragon of perfection. I droned along with her, a soft smile teasing the corners of lips as her warbled ballad softened, her ideal performance was coming to an unsought close.

Again, glancing out the annular window fornenst me and looking upward slightly, I witnessed the cotton in the atmosphere caressing the azure sky as the sun began its journey over the horizon.

Audrey's finished.

Just above me, a door opened and out ran Audrey. Another door opened and Halle asked Audrey if he'd properly cleaned his teeth. He admitted that he had with an adorable lisp crippling his speech. I listened a tad more and Halle was making her way down the stairs, her heels causing a shrill clack as they met each step. I counted down again and Audrey's bedroom door opened.

He was dressed now.

He trotted down the steps, the jaded soles of his tennis shoes lightly petting each marble rest. I opened a hearkening ear and withdrew the clanks of china while the bitter yet inviting aroma of brewing coffee tantalized my nose. Another scent teased my nostrils; apricot crepes. Due to such a delightful smell, my lips tingled and my stomach scolded me for its prolonged neglect.

   Sighing, I scratched my frowzy mountain of hair and recalled my last time eating; eight weeks ago. I contemplated whether or not it'd be apposite to decamp my dwelling, conspicuously putting myself in danger of being detected. While fiddling with the frayed hem of my pants, I thoroughly analyzed my cogitation: I'm well aware already that Halle has a nosy widowed neighbor, Miss Gizelle Ewell. By reason of her loss, I presume, she suffers great heartache and lingers about the neighborhood (generally near Halle's place) and inspects her company. It's evident that she yearns deeply for the desolation in her soul to be restored to its afore elation and fullness. I considered further that around this time of morning Miss Ewell would be resting in her creaky rocking chair, watching as the ambling sun rolled in with a billowing cup of tea that could be easily smelled for miles. The lower part of me grumbled again, this time with a tad more anger.