Chapter 16

[A/N: Dedicated to ___You___, the answer was Aphrodite's scarf. And sorry if I didn't make the relationship between Alec and Annabeth clear enough, but everything should make more sense after this chapter. Enjoy! :)]

Percy's POV

Alec's eyes are green...exactly the same color as mine. How is that possible? What could Annabeth be hiding?

We were all staring at her expectantly as we sat in the Romans' makeshift dungeon. It wasn't much, just a small cave with a door on one side that led back to the tunnels the Romans had hid in when the monsters that had attacked them were about to overwhelm them. They'd been living under the camp in these tunnels ever since.

I had made myself visible after healing Alec, and Lambda had as well, because we need the Romans to trust us. Plus, if it came to breaking out, it wouldn't exactly be hard. The Omega Division has been through much worse.

"Okay," Annabeth sighed. "I'm sorry that I kept this secret so long, but I did it for your protection, Alec. Please just give me a chance."

Alec just stared back at her, probably wanting her to explain first before he promised anything.

"The only other people who know this is Chiron, my mother, and Hecate. This secret can't go beyond this room, or Alec will be in much more danger than he is now."

I studied her carefully as she took a deep breath. What secret could be this important?

Annabeth turned to look at Alec and said, "I know who your parents really are."

Alec looked like he didn't know what to say. He just sat there, gaping at Annabeth, and then the information finally processed.

"You know? You've known the one thing that I want to know most, and you never told me?" He cried, standing up quickly and moving toward the back of the cell, refusing to look at her.

"You need to understand, if anyone found out, the monsters would start specifically targeting you! You would be the most hunted demigod just because of how much the monsters hate your father!"

Alec turned around suddenly. "I don't care if anyone finds out or if they all want to kill me! I just want to know who I am!"

"Annabeth?" Thalia asked quietly. "How do you know so much about Alec, anyway?" She said it like she knew exactly what the answer would be, but she was afraid to hear it.

"Because I'm Alec's mother," she whispered.

I immediately reeled back in shock. Annabeth had had a son while I was gone? Then who was the father?

Annabeth glanced over at me quickly when she saw how that effected me, and looked troubled that she couldn't figure out why it would bother me so much. Luke gave me a warning glance because soon they would figure out exactly who I was if I couldn't keep my emotions in check.

"How is that even possible?" Thalia asked. "I was constantly with you from the time 'he' disappeared until Alec was at camp."

"My mother gave me the gift of being able to have a brain child like she does. I didn't know it until after Alex was born, but Athena explained that all I really had to be doing was thinking about the one person I loved above any other, and that night I had been thinking about him more than usual."

Thalia's eyes widened as she understood exactly who Annabeth was talking about. "You don't mean..."

"Yes. Alec's father is Percy Jackson."

I couldn't take it anymore. I staggered to my feet and backed up to the side of the cave farthest from everyone else, breathing deeply and trying not to have a panic attack in front of everyone. This couldn't be happening...

Luke immediately followed me and grabbed my shoulders, making me look up at him from where I had slid down to the floor.

"I know this is hard on you, Percy," he whispered, "but you can't show it this much. They're going to find out who you are, and then we will lose this war. Void has spies everywhere."

"I know, but I had a son this whole time? I didn't even know who he was a few days ago. I can't..."

"Pull it together, Percy. If you keep this up we'll all end up dead," Luke said, looking at me with concern.

He pulled me up and we walked back to the others, their eyes following me the whole way.

"I apologize for that," I said quietly as we sat down. "Can you please continue in your story, Ms. Chase?"

At that point I was getting a lot of weird looks, but Annabeth was simply staring at me with a stumped look on her face, like I was a puzzle she just couldn't solve. Finally she shook her head and continued.

"I immediately went to Chiron with Alec and explained what happened, and my mom showed up as well. We all knew I had to keep him secret. Percy's the most hated demigod in history to the monsters. They would love to take it out on his son. Athena decided to get Hecate to help, since she was in debt to Percy because he got her children a cabin at camp. We decided to disguise Alec as a son of Athena, so Hecate created a spell that changed Alec's eye color and suppressed his natural powers as a grandson of Poseidon. Then, in the morning, we made it look like he had simply been left at camp, and Athena claimed him. I took him in and Athena made him immortal at sixteen so he could stay with me after I lost Percy."

We just sat there in a stunned silence as she finished her explanation until Alec moved over to sit next to his mother.

"I guess I understand why you did it, but this is something I've wanted to know for almost three hundred years and you never told me. I can't forgive you for that yet, but I do understand it."

Annabeth nodded, looking sad but kind of hopeful too. I just hope Alec can forgive her soon. Maybe I could talk to him...

Everyone was still working on taking everything Annabeth had just told us in, when we all jumped at a sudden bang on the door as it was noisily opened.

We stood up quickly and faced the door as the thin augur came in. From what I had learned from Chaos, I knew he looked very similar to Octavian, but this couldn't be him.

"You are requested to appear before the council," he said as guards filed in behind him.

"May I ask who requests us?" Annabeth said, trying to sound at least somewhat polite, and failing miserably.

"That would be me, the leader of this camp, Caligula Augustus."

I laughed quietly under my breath. "Caligula?" I whispered to Luke. "The crazy Roman emperor? Seems appropriate."

He frowned in my direction as if he had just heard what I said somehow. "I don't believe you completely understand who I am. I am a direct descendant of Octavian Augustus himself, the one who took control of Camp Jupiter and placed our family, the augurs, in charge. We have ruled for hundreds of years, and you will show me respect."

[A/N: How many attack points does Nico say Dionysus has in his Mythomagic game?]