Distanced

(A/N: I’m deeply sorry for not updating for a while but Uni has been stressing me out and suffocating me with exams. Luckily, I have a bit of a long Thanksgiving break so that’ll give me some time to quickly type up some nice chapters for you all. And those celebrating Thanksgiving this week, I hope you have a great one and I hope you all stuff your faces and those who do not celebrate this holiday . . . still, stuff your faces with food because why the hell not?! Thank and as always, enjoy!)

Maz’s P O V

“Huh . . . ?”

Wha- she cut me off.

“Y-you want to break up with me?” she hinted.

My eyes widened in shock. Fuck.

N-No, it’s just that yunno-

“Just give me an answer Maz” she said swiftly.

Marceline, I love you but-

She whisper-gasped, “you do” she asked with her eyes slowly overpowered by her tears. The intense stare she’d give me was depressing.

Marceline, I’m broken, I’m shattering and I’m afraid; not only for you but for me as well.

Her stare was hard to decipher. She looked like she was shattering inside but slowly trying to keep the pieces together. She looked like she was dying but still trying to fight to keep her composure. This isn’t what I wanted to do but I need a break; from everything.

“I understand” she interrupted my thoughts. Tears slowly started to roll down her pale, cold, cheeks. One tear fell on her burning red lips. She didn’t bother wiping them away. I felt as if she wanted me to see how much I was breaking her. As if she wanted me to feel what she was feeling. Like she was gripping my emotions and pulling them in to mend with her; to share the pain, if not fill me up completely with ache.

What? I breathed. Her words hit me like a wave.

“I understand, go. Leave.”

Are you-

“No, I’m not sure Maz. But I’m not gonna hold you back anymore. What you just said, saying that you need a break from me, makes sense and I’m sorry. I’m sorry for holding you back all this time. I’m sorry that you might shatter and break because of me. I’m sorry for being like this, believe me, it wasn’t my intention” she hinted, her face still expressionless and drained in tears.

“I don’t want you to be with me for pity. I’ll stop desiring you if you want me. I’ll do anything to keep you from breaking and if this is the real remedy to it all, so be it” she shuddered with her beautiful eyes now losing its color.

I was never with you for pity Mar-

“Goodbye Maz” she stated. Her words hit me harder this time. I never wanted to hear her say that to me but I what else did I expect?

I wanted at least a last kiss or a last hug from her before I leave but that’ll make things harder for the two of us; way harder.

I walked backwards, still looking at her. Each step I took, the color of her soul drained into me. Each step I took, a small whimper escaped her lips. Each step I took shattered her . . . and it shattered me. As I continued making my way to the door, backwards, I’d see her fight herself. I’d see her grip on the sheets or bite her lip or hold her breath but she knew very well that she couldn’t stand up and hold me back. She respected my decision as much as it pained her.

I opened the door behind me and finally turned my back on her and left.

 I let her go. I let her go. I let her go.