The Blending

A fictional account of Castiel’s journey from heaven, to blend with his host Jimmy Novak, and meet Dean for the first time.

Castiel closed his eyes and sighed, shaking his head with worry.  He knew he must follow orders, and had been listening to the man’s prayers for days now.  He felt no connection with the man at all, and had no desire to form one, especially one as complete as the one required of him now.  He had questioned the order at first, earned his superior’s displeasure for his insolence, and now sat listening to the prayers reaching his ears, loud, clear and earnest.  He was a soldier of heaven and knew no other existence.  He knew his work involved caring for the humans on Earth, his father’s greatest creations, and although he exercised his duties without fault, he did so from the comfort and familiarity of his home in heaven.  Now he felt as if he were being banished and wondered if he had earned this duty as punishment, but try as he might, he could not think of anything he had done to deserve this.  Finally, someone had come and comforted him in his anguish, one of his superiors who assured him that he had been given this task not for punishment, but because he had earned the honour.  She assured him that he would feel different once the bond was made, that he would soon feel comfortable in his new role and he smiled, for he trusted her guidance.

One day, as he sat listening to the man’s prayers, Castiel took the first tentative step and answered.

“I am Castiel, and I have heard your prayers.”  He was shocked as the man’s emotions hit him like a thunderbolt.  Although he knew of emotions, he had never experienced them and the strength of the man’s joy overwhelmed him.

“Castiel?” the man enquired, his voice shaking as tears streamed down his cheeks.  “Are you the one?  The one I’ve been told about?”

“I am the one,” Castiel replied.

The communication went on for days, and Castiel watched as the experience took its toll on the man’s life.  His wife worried for her husband’s sanity and Castiel knew that their marriage would not survive this.  He reminded him of this every day but the man was adamant.

“It is an honour to do the Lord’s work,” the man said as he dropped to his knees.  “I give myself to you.”  He closed his eyes and waited for something to happen.

“You must know,” Castiel said, “that you will be aware of everything that happens whist I am working through you.  Some of my work will shock you, frighten you, even shame you, but it is our Father’s work.  Remember this always and trust me.”

“I trust you Castiel,” the man replied without hesitation and Castiel sighed.  How blissfully unaware this man was at what was to come and how completely he put his trust in him, an unseen force.  His faith was strong and Castiel felt humbled as he remembered his own faith faltering more than once.

“You will not be able to enjoy the family life you have now,” Castiel told him.  “You may never see your family again and they will grieve for your absence.  Take more time to consider this before I bond with you.  You owe it to them, for they love you without question and your leaving will hurt them greatly.”

“I’ve thought of nothing else since I first became aware of what is required of me.  I am in no doubt that doing the Lord’s work is of greater importance than my personal needs.  This is my destiny Castiel; I know that now.  I’ve waited and prayed for this my whole life.”

Castiel took one last look around at the only home he had ever known and knew that what he was feeling was akin to fear.  He was one of his Father’s strongest soldiers and had gained much respect from his brothers and sisters, but now he was the one afraid, like a child leaving home for the first time.  He mentally sent a prayer of his own, and hoped his father received it.  Immediately he felt the strength and conviction filter through to him and sighed with relief, knowing his father was giving him his love as he stepped forward on this new journey.  He reached for the man with his mind.