The Librarian of Destiny

I met Darnslaw quite by chance when I was searching for a shortcut to the library.  I had recently moved to the area and, being an avid reader, one of the first things I did was to find the nearest library.  It turned out to be a couple of miles away but I was sure there must be a shortcut down some alleyways that would cut it down to just over a mile.  A couple of dead ends later, I found the shortcut I knew must exist and happily made my way between a rather rundown old warehouse and a grubby rooming house.  As I made my way past the faded sign advertising rooms for rent, the door suddenly opened and a man appeared.

To all outward appearances he was a very ordinary elderly man; the slightly too large shabby overcoat was the same as could be seen on many men of a similar age and social standing, and the flat cap pulled well down did nothing to raise my suspicions.  No, he seemed perfectly normal apart from those eyes.  His arresting gaze held me and I knew instantly that I was being mentally scanned in some way, like in those science fiction movies I like to watch on TV.  It was just a fleeting moment and was then gone; his nod and smile as he touched the brim of his cap and allowed me to pass a reminder of an age of chivalry long since passed into history.  I smiled in return and carried on my way, that odd feeling of having been scanned still fresh in my mind.

As I sat in the library with my copy of an overview of eastern esoteric practices by some unknown, and frankly crazy, European author from the 1940’s I heard whispers behind me and looked around.  The man with the arresting gaze had just entered and was being greeted by the librarian, who handed him a key with a smile.  I watched as the man wandered over to a small door in the far corner, unlocked it and disappeared from view.  The pendant lights that hung from the ceiling were obscuring my view of the sign above the door so I stood and stepped to my right so as to read it.

Secured Reading Section - Passes must be shown, was emblazoned across the rough, unpainted panelled door and my curiosity was piqued.  I wondered what sort of books were kept there and assumed that rare first editions and ancients texts were held there where they could be handled with care by those knowledgeable about such things.  My curiosity flared immediately and I decided to ask the librarian about it one day.

And so it continued, three times a week I visited the library, and each time, the curious man with the arresting eyes would enter a few minutes after me, greet the librarian and enter the secure reading area.  After a month I couldn’t stand it any longer and decided to ask about it.

“Excuse me,” I smiled at the librarian who looked up at me and smiled in return.

“Yes Madam, how can I help?”

“Umm, just out of curiosity, what is the Secured Reading Section through that door over there?”

He looked towards the door and I was sure he hesitated for a moment before answering me.  “That is where we keep our most special texts and documents.”

“Ahh okay,” I nodded.  “I guessed it was something like that.  How would I gain access to that section?  It says passes must be shown.  Can I get a pass?”

“I thought you’d never ask,” a voice behind me made me nearly jump out of my skin.  I turned to find myself staring into that same pair of mesmerising eyes and being scanned again.  “I was beginning to think maybe I was wrong about you.”  He smiled as those eyes continued to bore into my soul.

“Umm,” I began but didn’t know how to continue.

He took my hand.  “My name is Darnslaw and I’ve been waiting for you for a very long time my dear.”

“You have?” I asked, convinced I’d got myself mixed up with some weirdo and instantly decided I ought to find another library with all haste.