Second Chances

A/N

Dedicated to EmB210 for all her help getting this story started.

This is my first story so plz give me feedback, tell me what you like, dont like, and what you think i should do next time. thanx

Chapter 1

It was a nice day. The sun was peeking out from behind the clouds and the wind had died down from this morning. It was nearly the end of November but still only 27 degrees celsius. It had been a freezing spring and I was looking forward to summer, where it would hopefully be warmer. I could see dark clouds on the horizon which meant we would probably have heavy rain tonight, but we needed it. We have been stuck in this drought for as long as I can remember. In winter, we received a record low rainfall and now its almost summer, things aren't really looking up. It sounds like I live in the outback, doesn't it? But I don't, I live in a reasonable sized city on the coast of Australia. Australia is one seriously wacked up country I think, one part is flooded, another is on fire and where I live is in severe drought.

A small pointy elbow struck me in my ribs, knocking all the air out of me. I turned away from the window to see why on earth my friend would hit me like that. Looking at her I saw her facing the front, hands clasped like the perfect student she isn't. I slowly turned my head to the front of the room to find the oh so lovely, sweet and absolutely charming Ms Leroy staring at me from behind her small round glasses.

"Well?" Ms Leroy said, her eyes narrowing slightly.

The whole class was looking at me now, eyes boring into me and I could feel my face heating up, which only made me blush harder.

"I'm sorry, what was the question?" I asked trying to sound confident but sinking down into my chair.

"Why is it, do you think so many people died at Gallipoli beach?" She asked with a big sigh, sounding exhausted.

We were learning about WWI and Australia's involvement in the war. I have never really liked history that much. The past is the past so why do we have to learn about it?

By this stage my face felt like it was on fire and I sunk down into my chair further just wishing the ground would open up and swallow me whole. A couple of girls in front of me were silently laughing, while I heard others asking each other why I was so red. It's not my fault, really, it just kinda happens sometimes.

"Ummm, I dunno?" Was my genius reply.

Ms Leroy grumbled something about paying attention before returning to her babbling about how the Turkish knew about the invasion in advance.

I tried to pay attention, honestly, but I just get so distracted sometimes. I took my pen out of my pencil case and pulled back my light blue school dress before starting to doodle little pictures on my leg.

Now, let me tell you a bit about myself;

My name is Raelene and I'm a pretty boring, normal 16 year old.

I am not fat, I am not skinny, I am me size.

I am not pretty, I am not ugly, I am..... me?

I am not stupid, I am not smart but I am passing all my subjects (just)

I have blonde hair that can't decide whether to be straight or wavy and eyes that are attempting to be green but ended up being some mixed up grey colour.

I go to an all Girls private school and I'm a very awkward person around boys.

I'm not in the 'popular' group or the 'nerdy' group. I'm not a tomboy that can beat up someone and I do NOT do the whole 'stilettos and mini skirt' thing.