Chapter Seventeen -

Chapter Seventeen –

I stared back at Adrian’s expression, blinking blankly for a few moments, before bursting into a fit of laughter. I had momentarily believed him, before it registered in my mind that he was just joking. I began to laugh at his ridiculous suggestion – then abruptly cut myself short once his serious expression didn't change. “You’re not serious.” I stated.

“As the plague.” He remarked, smirking slightly.

My expression turned skeptical. “No way! Not happening!” I exclaimed, giving him a look of disbelief.

His smirk instantly fell and was replaced with a frown. “Why not?”

“Because- Because- Just because! No! You’re my boss, its wrong.” I wasn't going to lie, the thought of living with Adrian – waking up with him on a daily basis, watching movies together, having dinner together – had my stomach doing summersaults and my heart feeling like a feather; but I wasn’t going to tell him that. He was my boss.

“I don’t care. You’re moving in and-”

I cut him off. “Adrian. I can’t move in with you. I like my apartment! I worked my ass off to get it – it’s small, comfortable, and perfect to me! Plus, I have friends that like to see me every day and family who visit on occasion! And what about all the reporters that follow your every move? Moving in with you will send a wrong image out to everyone and-”

“And I don’t know how many times I have to say this to you, I don’t fucking care about how I look to the public. I care about you. So move in with me.” His tone was still commanding, and I had a feeling he wasn’t going to change his mind on the matter any time soon.

I sighed, before meeting his eyes. “Adrian…” I trailed off, not knowing what else to say to change his mind, before my phone began to ring; filling in the silence that settled in the office. “Hello?” I answered, not paying attention to the caller ID.

“Smelly Emily.” A deep voice answered, making a large grin instantly stretch across my face.

“Flaky Blakey!” I squealed in excitement at the recognition of my older sibling’s voice. “Have you come out of hibernation? Or come back from space? Because no other excuse will be accepted for not calling me for this long!” I warned, still grinning broadly. My eyes briefly flickered over to Adrian’s tall form, which was now leaning against his desk with his hands in his pockets and staring at me with an amused smirk.

“It was your turn, not mine!” He replied.

My grin instantly transformed to a shocked expression, and my eyes narrowed at the small coffee table that was in my line of vision. “It was not!” I argued, “Don’t you remember? I called you and you were at Michael’s house, and then you snuck out to the bathroom to talk to me and then you promised you’d take the double shift because you had to end my phone call short!”

Blake was silent for a moment, before I heard his tongue click in recognition. “That’s right, and my favourite pair of boxers ripped that day. That sad, sad day.” He remarked.

I rolled my eyes and grinned at the same coffee table I was looking at earlier. “You’re such a dork.”

“That’s because I had to live with you for 17 years. You were bound to rub off on my amazing personality just to sabotage my-”

“Shut up Blake.” I laughed, making Adrian’s smirk grow even wider as he watched. He began walking over to where I was, and pulled me into his torso from behind.

“Anyway, guess who’s coming over this Sunday, Smelly Emily?” Blake asked, oblivious to my physical position.

“W- Who?” I stuttered, suddenly feeling ever hair on my body stand up from Adrian’s touch.