In hero picking, I often pick heroes that would counter the opponent's heroes. I don't pick heroes just because they are strong. Having a line up that counters the opponent's main bread and butter won 90% of the time than just picking 'imbalanced heroes'.These are lists of some Counters for almost all Dota heroes. I wont say that these counters are the best. These are only suggestions on how you can counter heroes that you find hard to defeat. I'll be focusing on the heroes' skill disadvantage. Items, like BKB, linken, manta, etc, wont be considered. I will consider only some items that the heroes are really dependent upon like blink dagger for Earthshaker. But, the rest are heroes without defending items. These heroes are arranged alphabetically.
Abaddon, Lord of Avernus
Some Hero Counters for Abaddon:
1. Axe - Before Abaddon can trigger his borrowed time, axe can finish him off with Culling Blade.
2. Doom - Borrowed time wont be triggered while doomed
3. Lina - Perfect timing can kill Abaddon without letting him use his borrowed time
4. Lion - same reason with lina
5. Viper - simply slow him while he's using his borrowed time then finish him after
7. Heroes with hex, euls, or skadi
Aiushta - Enchantress
Some Hero Counters for Aiushta:
1. Bane Elemental - uses magical damage for Aiushta, Untouchable wont affect Bane for he is not doing normal attaks. Thus, when Aiushta uses her heal(nature's attendant), sleep her first.
2. Lion - Disable her before she got to use her heal
3. Zeus - he can have constant damage to Aiushta without having problem with Untouchable. With Aiushta's low hp, Zeus wont have any problem.
4. Lina - 1 combo, Aiushta's dead
5. Tinker - Spam spells then rearm
Aggron Stonebreaker, Ogre Magi
Some Hero Counters for Aggron Stonebreaker:
1. Omniknight - Repel serves a big problem for ogre magi
2. Bradwarden - Multicast can't kill heroes with High HP.
3. Necrolyte - Ogre Magi has high hp but with reaper, Necrolyte can kill him with ease.
4. Medusa - Aside from high hp of strength heroes, Medusa has mana shield that will make her hp not affected by multicast that much.
5. Nerubian Weaver - Weaver wont be killed by one multicast. After getting multicasted weaver can just use its time lapse and bring back its full hp.
6. Heroes with Defiance
Akasha, Queen of Pain
Some Hero Counters for Akasha:
1. Puck - silence wont make her blink or use her other skills making akasha vulnerable to death due to her low hp apparently.
2. Crystal Maiden - bite wont allow her to blink more than 3 secs.
3. Doom - Same reason with puck, silence.
4. Blood Seeker - Akasha wont blink while ruptured. If she does, the damage would be fatal and seeker will find her apparently because of thirst. Silence, also thus serves big problem for Akasha.
5. Lion - With lion's disabling ability, akasha will have a hard time escaping.
Anub'arak, Nerubian Assassin
Some Hero Counters for Anub'arak:
1. Puck - Vendetta is useless if Puck auto-activated its Phase Shift
2. Slardar - Invi heroes' worst nightmare
3. Low intelligence heroes - after the nerf made to anub'arak, low intelligence heroes wont be much affected by mana burn.
Anub'seran, Nerubian Weaver
Some Hero Counters for Anub'seran:
1. Lion - can finish anub'seran without letting him escape or use time lapse.
2. Slardar - Can chase Anub'seran's quick move speed and using Amplify Damage, there's no escape for Anub'seran.
3. Tiny - can finish Anub'seran in one combo
4. Doom - Anub'seran can't use his survival mechanisms when doomed.
5. Puck - silence and coil wont let him escape
Atropos, Bane Elemental
Some Hero Counters for Bane Elemental:
1. Pugna - Bane Elemental needs a lot of mana and Pugna's ward can damage him a lot.
2. Earthshaker - ES's long range of stun can waste his ulti
3. Tidehunter - Levi can wake up anytime within the length of sleep
4. Doom - will make an skill dependent, like bane, useless
5. Puck - silence or coil can easily disable atropos and waste his fiend's grip
Azwraith, Phantom Lancer
Some Hero Counters for Azwraith: