Chapter 22

I blinked a couple of times. “Huh?”

            “Jake’s awake. The hospital just called the house to tell us,” Jared said.

            It took a moment to sink in, but once it did, I bolted upright. “He’s awake?”

            “Yeah, and apparently he keeps saying your name.”

            “Holy crap! We’ll meet you at the hospital,” I said and then hung up the phone. I turned to Blake to see that he already had his phone to his ear. “He’s awake.”

            “I heard, which is why I’m calling Jack right now. I’ll get him to pick us up.”

            “Thanks,” I said then climbed out of the bed and got dressed quickly. I went around the suite and packed everything into our bags, not really caring whose stuff went into which one. We could sort it out later.

            Blake came out of the bedroom, wearing his jeans and pulling his shirt on over his head. He made his way over to where I was just finishing zipping up the bags. “Jack should be here in five minutes.”

            I straightened up and looked at him. “Thanks. I can’t believe this is happening.”

            He closed the distance between us and pulled me into his arms. “How are you feeling right now?”

            I pressed my face into his shoulder. “Overwhelmed. It’s been ten months. I really didn’t think he’d ever wake up. I’m also scared, because I don’t know what he’s going to be like.”

            Blake rubbed my back gently. “Well, you’ll find out soon enough, so don’t worry about it too much. Whatever happens, happens.”

            I let out a breath. “I know. Promise that you’ll stay with me?”

            “Of course I’ll stay with you. Now come on, Jack should be here very soon and I know you want to get to the hospital quickly.”

            I nodded and bent down to grab the bags. Blake took them from me and then grabbed my hand. We left the room and went down to the lobby to wait. We only had to wait for about a minute, and then Jack was there.

            Once we were in the limo, I couldn’t sit still. I was bouncing my knee up and down and I kept shifting in my seat.

            After five minutes, Blake finally reached over and laid a hand on my knee. “Easy Hailey,” he murmured.

            I took a deep breath and managed to get my knee to stop bouncing, but I still couldn’t sit completely still. Every few minutes I would move a little and Blake would just shake his head.

            The drive seemed to take forever, but in reality it was probably only about twenty minutes. As soon as Jack pulled the limo to a stop, I jumped out, literally dragging Blake with me. I went directly to the elevators and bounced in place until it arrived. I pulled Blake on with me and pushed the button to take us to Jake’s floor.

            When the doors opened, I saw Jared waiting outside of Jake’s room. When he saw me, relief washed over his face and he hurried towards us. “Thank god you’re finally here. He’s been asking for you and he’s getting agitated.”

            “Where the hell is my sister?” I heard Jake bellow from in the room.

            I went to the doorway and looked in. Jake was half sitting up in the bed and there were nurses fluttering around him, but he kept on trying to shoo them away. “Jake,” I said quietly.