Prologue - The Legend

The first shape-shifter was a witch. She used her powers to transform into the most common predator of her time; a wolf. She needed to in order to keep the people of Lupus, her village, safe. She was the most powerful witch, so she rounded up one member from the each of the remaining five witch families in the village, 2 other women and 3 men, and used the same spell on them so they could shift as well.

These original shape-shifters not only had the ability to shift and obtain the features of their shifted animal, such as sight and smell, but they also had a vast amount of power.

Each of the shifters paired off and bonded with each other and their powers were passed down to their children. Because the spell was originally cast in order to save and protect the village it was passed down onto the younger generation so they could continue what their parents had started; and so it went for many generations.

That was until a shifter, a young man of 17 winters old by the name of Eloyi, went hunting and came across a human village only half a days walk from Lupus. It intrigued him, as he had only ever met other shifters and although the elders had told him about the non-magical humans, he had never actually met one.

He fell in love with a girl from the village, and she with him. After he revealed his true self to her, his wolf, he brought her back to his village. Some were outraged that he would dare pollute his bloodline, some were intrigued that he was able to mate with a human, and other who had been unable to find a mate were happy that they still had a chance at finding what all their friends had.

And so, this was the integration of shifters into human society. Some decided they were above mixing with humans and disappeared deep into the forest, although most had no qualms over it.

The negative effect of mating with humans was that it diluted the magic and so, over the generations the magic within was all but extinguished. Only a chosen few from every generation still had powers aside from their ability to shift.

Although one day, a group who called themselves the Shadows, made themselves known by going after the ones who still carried the magic within.

They believed that the sacred power should not just be reserved for a select few, who were then not treated as equals like everyone else, and that if everyone couldn't have the magic like in the olden times, then no one can.

So the Shadows, so named after the shadow of death, then wiped out all the remaining shifter with magic.... or so they thought. They missed one child, and so the magic was continued to be passed down. Although it lay dormant, hidden, until now....

------------------------------------------

Okay so this is my first attempt at writing anything, so go easy on me :P But please let me know what you think in the comments below :)