Chapter Thirty-Three: Love?

“So tell me again why your sister is coming?” I asked, trying to be nonchalant.

Jazzy looked up from the book she was reading and paused for moment to register my question. She inserted a bookmark in-between the pages where she stopped and place the book on the coffee table.

“She’s been living with my parents for a while now and she always wanted to be independent. She wants to move out by the time she’s in college and she’s going to a university at a nearby town, just half an hour drive from here,” she explained, “She’ll be looking at some apartments where she can live and she said that she might as well visit while she’s at it.”

My mind blocked out everything after the word college. It’s fast approaching, everything will soon be different. Some of my college applications came in already, I applied for five schools and I’m still undecided where to go.

More importantly, what will happen when everybody leaves for college? I’m pretty sure it’s not a walk under the sunshine like high school. It’s actually sculpting you to be what you will be doing in the near future.

Will I still be with Drew after graduation?

It’s a whole different environment. It’s unpredictable and such.

“Celeste, are you alright?” my eyes focused once again and I saw Jazzy’s face etched with concern.

“I’m alright,” I waved of, turning of the TV, “I’m just tired, if you don’t mind, I’ll go to bed early.”

“Fine, just call if you need anything.”

I nodded and stood up, climbing the stairs and entering my room. On my desk were the two college papers that have been sent last week. I was still waiting for three more – I was delaying my decision for as long as I can.

I lay down on my bed and stared out of the window. I knew that I was going to regret that I didn’t closed my curtains but somehow, I just needed the comfortable view that being on the top floor of one of the highest buildings in the city provided.

There were no colleges in this city, I would have to leave this place sooner or later. The nearest college that I applied for was a two hour drive from here. It was impractical if I would to drive for that long every single day. That means, I was going to move out after graduation.

So I just laid there for the longest time with Savannah bundled in my sheets beside me, wondering where Drew was going.

*

*

*

“He was so sweet,” Annabelle gushed, a grin never leaving her face.

She was on cloud nine ever since she came back from her date with Mark. It has been a week and she was still talking about him.

Ah, to be young and in love.

We were seated at our usual cafeteria table as I checked out the paper works Claire obediently filed for me. The DJ was reserved and so were the many props. All I needed to do was to balance the budget we had left for the designs.

“Are you taking him to prom?” Lillian asked, eyeing the posters that have yet to be posted around the school.

“I hope to,” Annabelle replied, “How about Charlie?”

“I don’t know,” she answered with a sullen face, “He has a busy schedule and he has no idea if he can make it that night.”

“Hey girls,” I started out, pausing their conversation, “What are we going to do about college.”