1, The meeting

• Dedicated to Derek Landy

The true creator of these characters. Without him, there would be no story.

"There's no helping her, not anymore....."

"Ghastly knows,

He just doesn't want to believe it........."

Ghastly snapped awake suddenly and the daydream vanished. He trudged through the puddles miserably, he didn't want to believe it, he wouldn't believe it. It was just too painful. "She can't be gone," he thought to himself, "she just can't."

Two years ago, the love of his life, Tanith Low, had been possessed by an evil, body snatching creature called a remnant and had run off. Remnants are horrible black creatures that climb inside your mouth and take over your body.

He'd ignored it when he was told that she was pemanently possessed and he could not save her. And now, he'd decided to find her.....

It was a rainy Tuesday and he had no-where to go. Skulduggery Pleasant,the skeleton detective, had made him an elder of the Irish Santury (The magical 'government-like' organisation.) but he hardly ever went to meeting or did anything unrealated to tailoring or his mission.

The only sightings of Tanith that he knew of were once; two years ago, a few days after she'd gone, Skulduggery's partner and Ghastly's friend, Valkyrie cain had seen Tanith at Valkyrie's parent's house (she was a teenager) and apperently her car had broken down. She walked her down the street and she had driven off. He knew there was more to that but Valkyrie refused to tell him. The other time was a year later, she'd been seen in Berlin with....Billy Ray-Sanguine. He was one of the bad guys in Ghastly's books and he'd tried to kill him and his friends quite a few times. He had no eyes just holes where they used to be and he could burrow underground, through floors,walls ceilings ect. ect. And now, it's seemed he was with Tanith Low....wait not Tanith Low, the remnant inside Tanith Low. If this was true, Ghastly would kill him.

Today, he was meeting up with the latest person to have seen Tanith, Evalinie Vaughtine. Ghastly followed the directions on the sopping wet piece of paper he'd been given to a modern block of flats. It was newly built and everything seemed perfect and in order. Inside the flat however, was decorated very strangley indeed. The carpet was a dirty cream colour and the walls were striped sky blue and blood red. The furniture looked antique and ancient. All over the walls were shelves clutchered with odd little trinkets and oraments of cats. On one wall was a large painting of a china doll in a blue dress sitting on a checkered picnic blanket on a sunny day. It creeped him out slightly. "What, a place..." he breathed quietly as he entered. It was quiet, to quiet. He walked through the cluttered room checking all around him. Was Evalinie even there? The front door closed by itself behind him, making him jump. The eerie silence flooded the room once again.

Suddenly the lights flickered and the power went out. Something in the room stirred. The hair on Ghastly's back stood on end and he felt someone moving behind him. He turned to face his attacker but they were too fast. Someone sprang up and pounced on him, pinning him  to the floor. Someone pressed a sword against his neck. "'ello sweatheart," Tanith Low whispered in his ear, "miss me?"