There's No Such Thing

I felt the warm, rapid and hateful breath against my bare neck. It made me flinch and I tried my best not to notice the presence of the living dead behind me that was going to haunt me for the rest of life. I had to ignore it and moved my attention towards the wind whistling its sorrow to the naked branches that also held sadness upon its roots. The white moon was colossal against the pitch-black sky. It made me want to cry out for safety, but nothing that I could do would get me away from the sour smell of remorseless hate that spiraled up my body. The streets were empty, not a single lonely and miserably mental person, just the fictional spirit behind me and I.

"It's just the pills, Cleo." I reassured my self "There's no such thing as ghosts." I went through my bag to find the pills I overtook this morning, there was nothing though. I always carried my Qwells with me after and I had an overdose of them. But yet they were not here!

"It's not the pills, Cleo," he whispered. There was something in his husky breath that was so perfect "I'm right behind you, I'm real." I swiveled around but there was nothing there, just a faint outline of a familiar shape, it was too good to be true. It was Alejandro's.

"What do you want?" I asked. It had been after me for so long, and today I struck the courage to question its presence.

"Forgotten already?" he laughed "The train, the laughter, you an- and I" The laughter had turned into a crackly voice, like he was trying to fight back tears. I remembered, the day I killed Alejandro.

"Your birthday," I revised "we were taking the train back home after the party. You teased me so I pushed you. I didn't mean to make you fall on to the tracks, I swear Alex. I didn't know the train was coming-"

"And I died" he finished off for me. A tear of guilt rolled down my cheek. He was here to get me back, to kill me too. I never forgot. I never let it go. I never took the train again. I was a murderer.

It was a late night after his former roomate's birthday party, and Alejandro was meant to stay over at my house, so we decided to take the train back home together, it was our mode of transport, because that's how we met. I told him it was unsafe to travel by train at one in the morning, but he said he would protect me. Obviously, I couldn't resist his persuasive words, so I took the train.

"Oh my goodness, Cleo. You smell like a dustbin, and you don't look to good either!" Alex commented on my drunk self. I knew he was joking, but it was still kind of rude.

"Shut up," I groaned. When we got to our station, my mood chaged and I felt happier.

"So, how's my lovely dustbin?" he asked. I giggled, feeling really hyper. Like I was sugar high.

"You look gorgeous, just like always." he whispered, "Oh and by the way..." softly he kissed my cheek. Alex pulled away and spat on the tracks.

"Yuck!" He screamed with a disgusted face but started laughing after a second's pause. I pushed him, not a proper enemy push, it was a joke push. But it was a bit to hard.

That was the last word he ever said.

"Yuck"

I tried to find him, his green eyes that turned grey when he was mad. His dark brown hair that covered his eyes and was flicked out of the way when it bugged him. I tried to find something that was not there, only a hallucination created by my mind. My heart burnt at the disgrace trapped inside me.

"I'm sorry Alex!" I pleaded, "I never meant for that to happen! You know I would never try such a thing! It-"

"I'm killing you for your own good." He said. I blinked at the air a few times, trying to consume the words he just said. "Everybody is after you. They want you dead." I didn't find sense in his voice. It didn't seem believable. His body slowly faded into appearance and he stood there, damp cheeks and ruffled hair.